Photo

what are the beaches like in Jamaica?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SunBride

SunBride
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

So I'm about to plan our first trip to Jamaica (our belated honeymoon!) and I'm wondering what the beaches are like. When I was planning our wedding I was really disappointed about the beaches in the mayan riviera, most places there are rocks and coral in the water.

I'm assuming the beaches in Jamaica are awesome but I wanted to double check rather than assume, and also ask for recommendations for the best beaches.

I'm looking for clear water and an ocean that looks beautifully deep blue.

Any info / advice you ladies can give me would be greatly appreciate. I've just started researching resorts and I'm more or less making my resort choice based on price and location. Some of the obvious places that are coming up are Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Negril. Also what about Rio Bueno or Runaway Bay?

#2 ~*petals*~

~*petals*~
    • 1,572 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

I haven't been to Rio Bueno or Runaway Bay, but I'd say Negril has Montego Bay and Ocho Rios beat in terms of beach. It stretches for miles!

#3 kater

kater
      • 77 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:16 AM

The beach at the Riu Ocho Rios is great! A nice size, and no rocks or coral, just a little seaweed. Crystal clear water! Beautiful!

#4 SunBride

SunBride
        • 1,499 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:20 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by kater
          The beach at the Riu Ocho Rios is great! A nice size, and no rocks or coral, just a little seaweed. Crystal clear water! Beautiful!
          Thanks, that's one of my options.

A little seaweed flotting around the top (brought in from further out) or growing in the ground?

Also to add, I don't know if any of you have been to Punta Cana, but I thought the beach there was amazing, so clean and so blue, I don't know if anyone can compare Negril or others to that for me. Don't want to get my hopes up too high expecting it to be the same.

#5 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 9,504 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:25 AM

I've never been to OR but in researching hotels, Negril always came up as having the best beaches.

The sand is soft and white and powdery. The water is clear and there are some out lying reefs if you want to snorkel or scuba.

A few miles down are the cliffs and caves if you want to go diving. I think most of the resorts have free cruises so you can see them, CSA did. I felt like we had the best of both.

Since you are going as a honeymoon I would look for an adult only property.

If you have specific questions, PM TA Jennifer. I think she has been to every resort on the island! You can check out the Sandals/Couples thread for her site reviews. They are very detailed and she has included lots of pictures. I know I was really excited to find them when I was planning.

#6 Myda77

Myda77
            • 821 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:25 AM

Negril has amazing beaches! I have been to the Mayan Riviera and know what you mean. The beaches in Jamaica are different. I thought the beaches in MR were kinda rocky, not so in Jamaica. You can see clear through the water and the beach does stretch for miles in Negril. You will really enjoy it.
              Maida & Tomas
              Circa 2004 - Our first picture together!

#7 Blkatz

Blkatz
              • 1,025 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

We went to Negril last Jan for our birthdays and the beach was amazing. The sand is soft and the water is very blue and warm. They say that Negril has the best beach in Jamaica and it stretches for 7 miles.

#8 klopez

klopez
                • 176 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

yup, i went to Mo Bay about 6 years ago and took a day trip to negril...their 7 mile beach is incredible! we are actually honeymooning at Couples Swept Away after our wedding at ROR. I did hear the beaches in ocho rios are nice too but I think the difference is they don't have long stretches like the one in negril.

#9 Ashley0802

Ashley0802
                  • 279 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

I have been to Mo Bay and Ocho, and my opinion is that out of those 2 Ocho beaches are nicer. But I have heard that Negril has the best beaches in Jamaica.

#10 klopez

klopez
                    • 176 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

Definitely ocho rios over Mo Bay....but between Ochie and Negril....it depends if you're looking for long stretches of beach or just bays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users