Photo

Opinions/Experiences with Kindle, Sony E-reader, Nook or Kobo?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
  • Moderators
  • 25,218 posts
  • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

I've been trying to decide for years now what version of this I want to get... I'm really glad I've waited because prices have come down while options have gone up! But I'm still undecided between kindle, ereader, or now nook. My one main concern is I'm not used to paying for books! So that's going to be hard to get over. I also really love holding a book in my hands and the feel of the pages, so old fashioned haha :) I really haven't done a lot of research on any of these options yet because every year they keep making them better and more interesting! I think I'm ready to bite the bullet and figure out which one I want then see what happens at after Christmas sales...

#32 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
  • Moderators
  • 25,218 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

Ps I updated the title of this thread, hopefully we'll get more hits and info from current owners of all the products :)

#33 Debs

Debs
  • VIP Member
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:22 AM

Thanks Abbie! Well my decision was made for me: my dad bought me a Kobo for Christmas. Yes, he already told me because he's so excited about it, he went and bough one for himself! :D I'll let you know what I think of it after Christmas!

#34 MrsJones2Be

MrsJones2Be
    • 311 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:25 AM

I want one of these myself. Initially I wanted a kindle, but now I am thinking of the nook. I am still waiting to see if something else comes out.

MRS JONES 2 BE!

#35 Debs

Debs
      • VIP Member
      • 7,104 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

There are a bunch out there now that I started looking, besides all those already mentioned.

the Entourage Edge:

http://www.entourage...urage-edge.html 

Pandigital Novel colour

http://www.pandigital.net/?PageID=271

My decision was made for me: my dad bought me a Kobo for Christmas. :) He's so excited about it he already told me. And bought one for himself! LOL.

#36 Birdie07

Birdie07
        • 1,218 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

You don't have to pay for books. The Sony and Nook are able to check out library books!!! :)

Originally Posted by Abbie 

I've been trying to decide for years now what version of this I want to get... I'm really glad I've waited because prices have come down while options have gone up! But I'm still undecided between kindle, ereader, or now nook.

My one main concern is I'm not used to paying for books! So that's going to be hard to get over. I also really love holding a book in my hands and the feel of the pages, so old fashioned haha :)

I really haven't done a lot of research on any of these options yet because every year they keep making them better and more interesting! I think I'm ready to bite the bullet and figure out which one I want then see what happens at after Christmas sales...

#37 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
          • Moderators
          • 25,218 posts
          • LocationSeattle

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:42 AM

Cali that's awesome! Love that feature. Earlier this week I researched for about 3 hours comparing my top contenders. I easily tossed out the Sony ereader because it just doesn't offer the full package Im looking for. Between the different models of the Kindle and nook, I'm 95% sure I'd like to get the new nook color. I'm not worried about only having wifi and I like that it's built on a droid platform so there is the opportunity for growth and possibility! Especially since I read that Q1 2011 they are introducing an app system exclusively for nook color. I really like the size of the device, and the color screen. The "glare" of not having paper-like "pages" is a non-issue for me, I'm used to my iPhone screen and I don't read at night or in a lot of low light directions so I'm not worried about messing with my melatonin production. So in the meantime I got the nook app for my phone, and I'm getting started with searching for free books. Now I've got a question! I picked a book that has a free preview, but when I go to download it, it takes me to a place to enter my credit card info. It clearly states $0.00 as the price above, so why does it want me to enter the info?? When I get free books on my Kindle app it doesn't ask for that...

#38 Birdie07

Birdie07
          • 1,218 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

I'm not sure. I have a B&N account that has my CC infor for when I buy books. I get free books all the time and it never charges me. Maybe it's setting up your account?

Originally Posted by Abbie 

Cali that's awesome! Love that feature.

Earlier this week I researched for about 3 hours comparing my top contenders. I easily tossed out the Sony ereader because it just doesn't offer the full package Im looking for.

Between the different models of the Kindle and nook, I'm 95% sure I'd like to get the new nook color.

I'm not worried about only having wifi and I like that it's built on a droid platform so there is the opportunity for growth and possibility! Especially since I read that Q1 2011 they are introducing an app system exclusively for nook color.

I really like the size of the device, and the color screen. The "glare" of not having paper-like "pages" is a non-issue for me, I'm used to my iPhone screen and I don't read at night or in a lot of low light directions so I'm not worried about messing with my melatonin production.

So in the meantime I got the nook app for my phone, and I'm getting started with searching for free books. Now I've got a question! I picked a book that has a free preview, but when I go to download it, it takes me to a place to enter my credit card info. It clearly states $0.00 as the price above, so why does it want me to enter the info?? When I get free books on my Kindle app it doesn't ask for that...

#39 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 12,193 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

I think Calia's right Abbie. If you don't have an existing BN account, its probably just asking you for cc info as a step to setting up an account. I know that I download free books & previews all the time & never get charged. I'm not sure if it works the same with the app, but when you have a BN account, all e-books go into your library & you can keep a track of them so it is helpful if you have an account.

#40 amberah19

amberah19
              • Site Supporter
              • 104 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

I absolutely love my nook, and although I miss the feeling of books, this is perfect for traveling. No more lugging heavy books in your carry on! And I find that I read faster with an e-reader too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users