Sign in to follow this  
Zelo Photography

Definition of a Destination?

I just wanted to get all of your thoughts on exactly what is a destination wedding? For example, do you think a destination wedding means having the wedding at one of the exotic places like Puerto Vallarta, Hawaii, etc? Or do you think it's simply having your wedding at a destination other than the city in which you currently live?

That thought just crossed my mind and I thought I'd see what some of you had to say :)

I consider a destination wedding a wedding a city that you do not live in - I don't think it needs to be super exotic although it of course can be

same... anywhere other than where you live. I think this forum is a good example. There are weddings everywhere from hawaii, to vegas, to Europe to the Caribbean, to florida, to california, to montana

The only thing I would add, is that your guests would have to travel as well.

So, if we had gone to KS for our wedding, but my DH and his entire family live there, it's not quite the same thing.

I say everyone has to pack a bag.

To me, a DW is a wedding that takes place in a location thats at least a few hours away more more so in a different state. I live in MI so I would consider a wedding in Chicago being a DW. HOWEVER I think the main term for DW is referred to places like Cabo, LC or DR that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinB View Post
The only thing I would add, is that your guests would have to travel as well.

So, if we had gone to KS for our wedding, but my DH and his entire family live there, it's not quite the same thing.

I say everyone has to pack a bag.
I was thinking the same thing. FI and I are both from Newfoundland, so if we had decided to go "home" for a wedding I DEFINITELY would not consider that a destination wedding!! LOL

But I would typically think out of country for a DW.

I currently live in NYC, but I am getting married in Dallas. I totally consider it a destination wedding because i'm still planning it from far away which I think puts me in the same boat of all the beach wedding girls.