AHR...When is the "normal" time to have it??**LONG POST**

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 Sloan

• 1,279 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

A friend of mine got married in St. Lucia in April and had her AHR 2 weeks ago. Have it when you want it. If people complain - ignore them.

#12 IslamoradaBride

• 459 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

I'd say whatever timing works best for you! There are no rules about it. FH's family is planning an AHR because they have a huge number of guests that won't be able to make it. I think they are tentatively planning for a month or so after our wedding, and it'll be a casual banquet in a hall in his hometown. I don't plan on wearing my dress again or doing any of the wedding stuff. If I do get a reception dress, I may wear it again.

#13 **~Jenn~**

• 1,236 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

Yea..The more I think about it..The more I want it to be casual and wearing my dress would not make it casual! hahaha...However..I can probably get a nice, Cheaper white dress to wear that day.
        I think waiting will be our best bet. Thanks agian Ladies :-)
        Married @ Dreams Cancun 06/24/09
        My Wedding Reviewhttp://bestdestinati....24-09-a-45066/Pics By Juan Navarrohttp://www.facebook.....9&l=32db696cd3

#14 jajajaja

• VIP Member
        • 9,794 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

We were going to have ours 5 months after our wedding. However, after the wedding I was just so over it all that we didn't have one. I got super stressed about money and then I started to think "why am I saving again? Because people didn't want to go to MX? Tough shit for them." We then just cancelled it and moved on. That's acceptable too. LOL :)

What I'm trying to say is don't feel pressured. If you want to have one, have one. If you don't, then don't!
          Happily married since 2008

#15 janellepo

• 71 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:29 AM

We are getting married November 19th, and we have decided to have our reception in our hometown the weekend BEFORE we leave. This way we don't fall into the holiday season, and many of the people that live out of town will be able to make it! We aren't having a 'traditional wedding reception' because it is before the actual wedding. We are thinking of it more of a fun 'send off' for the family and friends that couldn't come along with us.

#16 amyrak

• 469 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

We are waiting about 4 months to have ours. With getting married end of November when we get back it will be getting into the swing of the holidays and bad weather here in MI so we decided to wait until end of March when the weather will hopefully be nicer "at least no snowstorms" :) Also it helps that we can save money too of course. So, no..I don't see a problem with it. I'm still not sure if I will wear my dress again or not. I'll just see how I feel after wearing it for a day if I'm ready to rip it off or it's comfortable :)

#17 kevsgirl

• 1,209 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

I've been struggling with this too
                "why am I saving again? Because people didn't want to go to MX? Tough shit for them."
                I must admit part of me is there too... but I want a big party and only 8 people have booked so far...

Boo! It's tough. But if you have your heart set on having your AHR at that location and you don't mind saving, definitely wait til Sept! The time will pass really quickly. Look where this summer's gone!

#18 TA Lindsay

TA Lindsay
                • 413 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

We got married in Mexico in mid-February and had our AHR on June 30th last year - we really wanted to have it during nice weather, and the wait wasn't a big deal - we did a TON of DIY projects for it, so it was nice to have the extra 4 months after the wedding to get it done, plus it allowed us time to make our video and slideshow and everything....my dress still fit - luckily!!! :)

#19 NotYourAverageDW

• 361 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

Wait. That's what we're doing. We're toying with the idea of a December wedding. If we do that...then the AHR will defininetly be in June/July.

If we have a May wedding, the AHR will definitely be the first weekend of September.

We're looking at a 4-6 months break after the wedding for the AHR.

#20 Shay2679

• 493 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

Unlike those that posted...we ARE having our AHR the weekend we get back. 6 days after we've come back from our wedding in Mexico, we are having a big (140-150 people like you) AHR in our hometown of Edmonton, Alberta.

We really WANT to have the AHR, and although the bank is gonna be pretty dried up after hosting it, we know that if we were to wait any longer (geographically, we're pretty far from our friends and family), we probably just won't have one.

We're going all out for the AHR as well; the dress, plated dinner, dance, cake, all of it...but only because it is important to both of us.

Whatever you decide, make sure it about the two of you first and foremost. Good luck and remember to have fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users