Local Sayings? What are yours?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 joshfrommontreal

• 291 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:38 AM

The "food only available..." thread got me thinking about other things that are different based on location.

So I ask you this: what are some local sayings or pronunciations or language quirks from where you are from?

I'll start with two from Montreal:

-Instead of saying terrace people say "tare-ass" (tare pronounced like care")

-Any combo at a fast-food restaurant is called a trio, not combo. For some reason this bugs me!

#2 loveangel0610

• 272 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:51 AM

Pittsburgh has so many I don't even know where to start lol. It even has it's one name Pittsburghese! Here's a few of them:

Gumband= Rubber band
      Nebby= a nosy person
      Pixburgh= Pittsburgh
      Souside= South Side
      Yinz= all of you

#3 FutureMrsLewis

• 583 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:15 AM

I'm from Newfoundland, so I have a LOT! There's even a Newfoundland dictionary lol Like a yaffle is an armful, and anything we can't remember the name of becomes a chummyjigger, "How are you doing?" Is never used, instead we say "How's ya gettin' on?", oh, and "Stay where yer to 'til I comes where yer at!". We don't pronounce the letter h at the beginning of words, most words automatically have an added s at the end, and there are no g's at the end of anything lol Just look on google for newfie slang and you'll see what I mean

#4 joshfrommontreal

• 291 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:34 AM

I have so many newfie clients for some reason. I absolutely love the weddings, such a party!

#5 FutureMrsLewis

• 583 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:44 AM

Well, most Newfoundlanders originated from Ireland or Scotland, so there's guaranteed to be alcohol and LOTS of dancing lol Not necessarily GOOD dancing, but definitely dancing lol

#6 joshfrommontreal

• 291 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:58 AM

as long as they aren't drinking screech! Wow that stuff is crazy

#7 luckygirl

• 339 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

I live in between Baltimore and D.C. so here are a few:

Hon- this is with an emphasis on the O and sounds like a heavy un...something you say to anyone you see..."hey hon"

Rum= room
                Brum= broom
                yous= I'm assuming you all
                Q is pronounced like it has an r in it....crew (that one always cracks me up!)

And D.C. you just have to figure out all of the acronyms

I wanted to add that I do not talk like this, but that these are some of the sayings of the natives.

The one thing I do say that I know is wrong is pank for pink...got it from when I lived in Mississippi.

#8 lambert13

• 901 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

I'm from NY. I think there is plenty out there on TV and movies to give an idea how we talk.

#9 boscobel

• VIP Member
                  • 24,213 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hmmm, I am from Philly, so I am sure there are plenty, but I am blanking! I will check back later.

#10 ACDCDCAC

• Moderators
                    • 25,218 posts
                    • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
                    • LocationSeattle

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

i love when people from places i've never been explain their sayings/accents. it helps me picture how everyone sounds/speaks when i'm "listening" your writing!

i'm from the PNW, and as far as i know, we dont say anything "weird". (ok, unless you are from somewhere that does have cool accents/sayings and thinks our are weird!) about as blah as you can get. doug and i always joke how you never hear our "accents" on movies or shows, no one thinks its interesting enough to write into a storyline. oh well! i mean really, can anyone please tell me what a "seattle accent" sounds like? B-O-R-I-N-G!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users