Photo

For Those Shipping Items Beforehand...(jamaica)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PoeticJustice

PoeticJustice
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:24 AM

1. On average how much to you pay for shipping

2. Do you have any idea how much dut (approximate) you had to pay once your items arrived in Jamaica?

3. How far in advance did you ship your items?

4. Did your items arrive on time?

TY :)

#2 caporrone

caporrone
    • 109 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:03 AM

Just an idea - it may be cheaper to pack it in a luggage and have people in your group travel with it as a second bag... I know you pay extra but atleast you know it will get there and on time and safe

#3 msasfraz

msasfraz
      • 392 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

Chandalyn stated you could ship but she wasnt responsible for the whereabouts of your contents....

#4 NotYourAverageDW

NotYourAverageDW
        • 361 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

I'm actually toying with the idea. From what I understand you'd probably need a good custom broker/officer down there to ship your item to and to hold it. I.e. instead of shipping it to the resort, you'd ship it to the custom's company and have them hold it and then deliver it to the hotel when you arrive. Just make sure you arrive with plenty of time to spare. I also understand that it's not too pricey if you ship it via 'barrel' and if you declare it as personal effects. Chances are with customs, and duty, it might come up to around $250, and that includes shipping materials, cost, customs, duty, delivery, custom broker fees, insurance etc.

#5 divadivine25

divadivine25
          • 427 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

Lucky me! My grandmother lives there so we plan to start shipping our items about a month prior to the wedding. That way we can decorate and put our favor bags together without having to travel with all that extra stuff!

#6 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 9,504 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:09 AM

Be sure your resort will allow and accept shipments. Not all of them do.

You might want to look into checking extra bags. It will probably be cheaper and the bags will be empty when you return (unless you bring your stuff back or buy a bunch of stuff)

If you arrive at the airport early ask to be upgraded to first class. We did this and it was the best decision we ever made and much cheaper than booking a first class ticket to begin with.

Those baggage limits have not changed with most airlines so you are allowed 3 pieces of luggage each - 2 at 70 pounds and 1 at 50 pounds. In addition to the free bags you get bigger seats, free drinks and food, and priority status, so your bags are the first off the plane!

#7 PoeticJustice

PoeticJustice
              • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

Thanks ladies for your feedback

#8 NotYourAverageDW

NotYourAverageDW
                • 361 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

I forgot mention that I'm going this route because my dad's a custom broker in Jamaica.

#9 Jenn

Jenn
                  • 1,557 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

We looked into shipping things to Jamaica before our wedding, and the shipping rates were insane - think $160 for a 10lb box! USPS was more reasonable, but who knows if your stuff would make it. We ended up going first class and carried everything with us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users