Cabo Newbie!

calibride

Hello everyone!

I'm a cali bride transplanted in NYC for residency. We just got engaged this past christmas and have been slow on deciding where to get married. Given we're both from the west coast and far from home, we finally decided on a Cabo wedding -including the big church ceremony. We're hoping for 60-70 adults and a killer reception with live music and great drinks. Only problem-we don't have much time for planning but still want to be involved. This site has been great so far and I'm excited how simple it looks to plan such a great event.

I do want to save my guests some money and had a few questions.

1. Wedding in March/April/May or OCt/Nov 2008? When's the low season-for both hotels and airfare?

2. Do our guests need to stay in the same place as the wedding? AI or not.

3. How do you transport people around-when the hotels are so far from town?

4. Location, location, location-we've been looking at every spot. Casa del Mar vs Sheraton vs Dreams vs Marabella vs Cabo Surf

5. Affordable nice hotels for guests to stay in the area? any word on castillo de blarney?

6. Should I get a WC? This week I have plenty of time but most of the time I'm swamped with work. But I'm still pretty type a and want to be involved. Any WC suggestions?

7. any churches people love?

I know I have tons of questions but I would love any help/advice. I'm just starting and its so overwhelming.

Gladys

Hey Gladys, Congrats on your engagement. There are lots of Cabo girls here, so I am sure we can slowly get thru all your questions...

I got married in November and found prices to be pretty good. They started going up again once thanksgiving/christmas/new years hits, then I don't know about the spring, sorry....

We had lots of guests stay in condos and private villas found on ..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner which worked out great. Lots of people stayed for $75/night and had a kitchen (another moneysaver). We recommended our guests rent cars. Then they could get to all the wedding events but also go exploring on their own.

If that doesn't sound up your alley, you could also consider an all-inclusive place. Dreams and RIU are most popular for brides.

There is a Catholic church in San Jose. MariaElena got married there so search for her review. I think Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach has a pretty chapel. I forget the others...

For a bargain WC you could hire Maye ($900+) or for full coordination you could hire Tara, Amy, or Lisa from Fiestas Los Cabos ($3,000?)

Hopefully that is a good start!

Welcome Gladys! I'll try to answer some of your questions the best I can. I'm getting married at the Sheraton in Cabo in June.

1. Wedding in March/April/May or OCt/Nov 2008? When's the low season-for both hotels and airfare? In my research I found that March and April were more expensive than May and June. I think Oct/Nov is just before it gets really expensive. I believe high season is December through March

2. Do our guests need to stay in the same place as the wedding? AI or not. I'm trying to get all of my guests to stay at our resort just because it seems easier that way and we don't have to worry about transporting people around. I believe that if you get married at an AI that you will have to pay for a day pass for each guest who comes to the wedding who is not a guest of the hotel....I think I saw it posted somewhere that at Dreams this is $80 pp. But a Dreams bride could explain the details better.

3. How do you transport people around-when the hotels are so far from town?Some brides hire vans, buses or taxis to drive their guests around, others encourage people to rent cars.

4. Location, location, location-we've been looking at every spot. Casa del Mar vs Sheraton vs Dreams vs Marabella vs Cabo Surf If you have questions about the Sheraton, I'll be happy to answer them..

6. Should I get a WC? This week I have plenty of time but most of the time I'm swamped with work. But I'm still pretty type a and want to be involved. Any WC suggestions? I hired one just because the Sheraton doesn't have an onsite WC and I didn't want to stress on my wedding day about all of the little details. Depending on the size of your guest list and the resort you choose, you may or may not want to hire one. You'll find lots of great vendor info on this forum. If you do decide to hire a WC, you may want to consider Emiline (sp?). She is "cabo wedding coordinator" on this site and Janet also listed a couple of great WC in her post.

7. any churches people love? I know there is a chapel at the Sheraton, but I didn't see it while I was there. There is also a mission in San Jose and a cute chapel at the El Encanto Inn in San Jose.

Welcome Gladys! I am also getting married in Cabo at the Dreams. All your guests do not need to stay there but you will have to pay a day pass for each guest for the day of the wedding as well as for any other days they come to hang out at the resort with you. This is how the AI resorts work. All the places you listed are beautiful, it is just a matter of coming up with a list of things that are important to you. Will you have children traveling with you? Do you want a large resort or a smaller one? Do you want a party place or something quite? Once you decide what is important to you and your FI you should be able to narrow it down. Good luck with your planning (and your residency!) and let us know how we can help.

-Glenda

• 3 years later...