BM dress copying... is this offensive?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TheTomato

• 45 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

My MOH's sister had bridesmaid dresses in her wedding that I thought were really pretty and would go well with my theme. Given that my MOH already has the dress and my other bridesmaid could wear one from her other sister, I can't help but think it's a good way to get another use out of dresses that will likely never get used again.

However, I have this feeling I might be offending her sister by using the same dresses. Would anyone be offended if a friend of yours wanted to have the same dresses in her wedding? (only one or two people would actually end up attending both weddings but maybe a dozen or so would see pictures).

#2 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

I'd just ask her first. I personally wouldn't care at all. I had a friend who did the same thing. It was great to get to wear a BM dress twice. So many of the styles are similar anyway.

#3 ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 9,504 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:11 PM

I think it's a great idea and it will save some of the bridal party money since they are travelling.

If you are concerned, talk to the sister if you are close. If you aren't close I don't think it matters.

Tell her she had great taste and you hope she is excited to share her find with you. I think if you put a positive spin on it will be fine. I personally wouldn't mention the saving money aspect, because I wouldn't want anyone to feel like we were using "leftovers".

#4 Jacqueline

• VIP Member
        • 3,160 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

I persoanlly wouldn't care but I would see what her thoughts are, and go from there. To me, I enjoyed looking for the BM dresses, picking colors, etc, making it all unique to fit my personality is the fun part of planning. But if you loved the dresses, I say go for it, there are no rules! Good luck, keep us posted!

#5 can't wait!

can't wait!
          • 517 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

Great idea! I would be excited if my bridesmaid dresses got used for another wedding! My flower girls will be using the same dress they wore for my cousins wedding. Go ahead and do it!

#6 Hartyt509

• 2,262 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

I couldn't care but people can be weird so you are best asking

#7 ashrose

• 422 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

I echo... at least have a conversation. Play to her ego if you have to, "you have such good taste" ect...

I personally wouldnt care because the BM dresses are supposed to compliment the bride ... so in terms of my theme and whatnot, they are a piece of the picture -- but ultimately, people are looking at the bride anyway. When I see wedding pictures, I see the bride's dress... but I ultimately see just the color of the BM dresses -- I guess I just don't pay attention to the style all that much.

#8 nikkianddean

• 1,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

i personally see nothing wrong with it. I think you should defintely talk to her. It can't cause any harm

Mr. & Mrs. C
                  February 14, 2009

#9 1elephant

• VIP Member
                  • 15,998 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

i picked mine b/c one of my bms already had the dress from another wedding. i barely know the other girl, so i didn't care what she thought. all 3 bms have worn it since, which makes me happy.
                    doesn't hurt to have a conversation. who would actually say "yes, i mind"??

#10 Jen_S

• 3,737 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

i personally would not mind either, but i would ask just to make sure. its a great way to save money esp since your wedding is a dw ohh and in st. johns.
                      Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users