meghanmbm

Do We need to have a reception at home after?

We are not having a AHR we decided to get married leagally at home so my grandma can witness that since she is sick and unable to travel.

We decided that we're going to have one a few months after we get back. My family is on the east coast, his is on the west, and we live in the south. The only thing that remains is figuring out a locale that works for us .

I agree that an AHR is not necessary. People who want to be there will make it happen. If people don't come to the wedding, then unfortunately they missed out! I don't think you should have to have another party to accommodate those that chose not to attend.

I don't think there are any rules written in stone... I had the same mentality as most of you where if people didn't want to cough up the money to come and see us get married, then too bad for them.

However, my grandparents are not able to come to Mexico due to health issues which made having a destination wedding a really tough decision. So we are going to have an AHR 5 months later, when the weather gets a bit nicer, basically for my grandparents. I will wear my dress again, we will show pictures and videos from the trip. I am even thinking of doing a little vow renewal ceremony for them to see.

So, it is completely up to you... it isn't expected by any means but if there are some special people that are going to be left behind, then you may feel compelled to do one like I do.

Good luck!

Maura I agree 100%...I thought I was rude for feeling that way, but it is the truth... My mother is insisting that I have it...she guarantees that I won't have to pay for anything even getting there...we will see. The one from my MIL...that's a different story...we told her we don't want to pay anything, but for some odd reason I have a feeling she will end up forking a bill over to us at the end...then the real drama will begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghanmbm View Post
One of the reasons me and my FI decided to go destination style was to save some cash. we are inviting everyone to Mexico to witness we say our vows. We are also having a formal reception after. Do we need to still have a reception at home for those who couldnt attend? I really dont have much dough left. even a BBQ for 125+ people would be costly.
We are having a barbeque and the Pavillion Tent at the park holds 180 guests...so we will see. Once the food is gone...I guess that will be it, as long as there is some for me and hubby...I am fine...smile120.gif

i *think* i'll be having one, but that's probably because i haven't really found out how much my "cheap destination wedding" is going to cost yet, haha! seems it adds up more quickly than you'd think!

at any rate, what i'd be having wouldn't really be a "reception" but more of a simple party. beer and margaritas maybe, the wedding video and pictures, and possibly a friend dj-ing, unless we spring for a bose sound dock and use an ipod.

We are not having an AHR. The only people we are really close to in town are our immediate families. My aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends don't live in town. People have said they can't attend our DW because of the cost of travel so I see no reason to plan an AHR because those people would have to travel for that too. I will post pictures for those unable to make it to see. My cousin got married in France where his wife is form and they ran into a similar situation. Those that can afford to travel will be there are those that can't will be missed.