Yippee! Going to NYC!

kevsgirl

Thanks everyone!!

Looking for somewhere for lunch and somewhere for dinner.

Like: tex mex, meat, not so much pasta, sushi, indian, thai.

Not fancy and not too $$$. More laid back.

Maybe a fun loungy kind of cocktail place for one night.

Thanks!

We may have to try some pizza for one lunch!

:)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're back and we had an awesome time!!!

FI and I loved NYC smile29.gif And we had two great hotels for Saturday and Sunday night. I love Hotwire.com!

We drove down on Friday to his friends' place, where were going to spend the night. Welllll.... it turns out that they are extremely dirty/messy. We are not major cleanliness snobs, but it was so gross I didn't even want to set foot inside the house! We had a good time hanging with them and went to dinner and then to see one of the famous carousels in Binghamton (and got to ride it right before they shut it down for the night!). But in the end, we ended up leaving and not spending the night on their couch.

It turns out that Friday was our 11 month anniversary! We didn't realize until we were having dinner with the friends and it provided an even better reason to not stay at their place.

I will not post pictures of their place, because I think they are really nice people, but seriously you would not have believed the state of their house.

OH And to top it all off, as we're going to dinner their landlord came down and asked them if they'd watch his PET COCKROACHES smile41.gifwhile he was down south. wtf.gif That was enough to make me RUN!

The worst part of this whole story is that I left my purse at their place when we were in such a rush to get out and on the road... so by the time we'd driven about 3 hrs or something at night to get closer to Secaucus NJ, we stopped at a scary Bates motel (infinitely better than their place), but we had no purse and no camera frown.gifSo we had to buy disposible cameras and hence, the quality of the following pictures is pretty horrific smile116.gif sorry!

But guess what we found while driving around NJ trying to find a motelhuh.gif

Click the image to open in full size.

FI was pretty happy, being a fan of Harold and Kumar!

Our first few glimpses of NYC after taking the bus in on Saturday from Secaucus NJ:

Me in Times Square (I think I'm pointing to a sign saying that, but couldn't zoom in with crappy camera...

FI wanted a pic of me with the Naked Cowboy....

Ummm...I convinced FI to take pictures with me and the cowboy... didn't notice his hand there! bootyshake.gif

I got a good squeeze in though... :)

The NYC cops were super friendly and cute too!

So we walked up to the Met through Central Park... remember, if any of you know how hot it was - that it felt like 40 degrees celcius that day. It was sweltering...

Before we got to the park, we stopped in to the Disney Store and got pics with some princesses. Yeah, we're goofy :)

We popped in to FAO Shwartz for the a/c and because FI had never been there. I rememberd it from my last trip when I was 13 with my mom...

Apparently I screwed up the Death Grip here:

This guy was entirely made of LEGO. And here is FI having fun:

We got the cutest little princess cover (like a dress that goes over clothes) for FI's little niece who is almost 2. She's going to have so much fun at her princess parties in that!

And I stocked up on fun bath toys for kids, for future presents ('cause that's the kind of present buyer I am!)

Then we went through the park and got to the Met - one of the few pics of us together:

My sexy FH:

We had dinner (PIZZA) at Patsy's, which was freaking awesome!

We didn't get back to our hotel until 11pm. We stayed at the Crowne Royal Plaza in Secaucus, which was just about 30 mins bus ride into NYC. Maybe more like 40 mins.

We ended up in an executive King suite and we were more than happy with that. The bed was fabulous. I got both hotel rooms for about $133+tax trhough Hotwire. I think this was regularly about $250.

On Sunday we went into town and left our car at the Crowne Royal in NJ. We didn't do as much on Sunday because we were so worn out by Saturday. We did see the gay pride parade though and get caught in the rain by the New York Public library. We went to Trump Tower and got a Starbucks :) We walked around a lot- went down to Battery Park and saw the Statue of Liberty from the waterfront and stumbled across some Caribbean festival so we salsa'd in Battery Park! Then we tried to walk to Pier 17 or something, but got tired and went back to the amazing hotel: Guild Hall.

We had a nap and then showered and had dinner right next door at a place called Gold, I think. It was a write-off evening, but we'd seen a lot.

Guild Hall was by far the best ever hotel I think either of us had ever stayed in - in Soho - well, more the financial district in NYC. It was pretty far south east in the city.

Again, about $133 for that night, but I think that they are planning on renting the room we were in for over $400... AND the best part is that Michael Stipe lives there! We saw him on Monday morning going back to the hotel...

This hotel was fabulous. The decor was so cool - very retro/chic, but also quite masculine.

The pics are terrible, but it gives you an idea. The headboard was all leather, the big oval mirror is held by a leather strap, there was gorgeous kind of gold filigree style wallpaper as accent, etc. The bathroom was beautiful too. Very clean and brand-new. I think it's been open for 7 months or something. It had nice marble floor and glass tiles. Just awesome. And the sheets and bed - totally amazing! Also a flat-screen tv and an iPOD docking alarm clock.

Guild Hall

I have tons more pics. I'm so depressed with their quality though frown.gif

Oh well!

We'll have to go back bunny_4.gif

I highly recommend "Sunday in the Park with George", it is an amazing show that was nominated for several Tonys. I go to NYC often to see shows, PM me if you want any info on whats playing now. Have a great time, NYC is one of the best Cities in the world!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yari View Post
I am so excited you went to Pasty's!! Yay!! Wasn't sooo good! It is seriously my favorite.

I can't wait to go to NYC in August and get me some Patsy's.
Yari - I didn't remember who had suggested it, but it's nice that it was you! FI was like, "Why are we going here again?"... "This girl from the forum..." "Oh". LOL! He thinks I'm nuts. But it was seriously delicious pizza, so thanks :)smile159.gif

We didn't go to any fancy places for dinner.

FI and I are still trying to figure out how we travel together - he goes so hard-core all day every day until he dies. I like to look and feel good and relaxed and have enough sleep. So Saturday was pretty difficult and Sunday I had had enough!
I'm sure we'll figure it out soon. We go to Halifax in 2 weeks, so we have another shot at it :)