• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

I'm an RN, and work in one of the better-paying hospitals in Michigan. When I graduated 3 years ago, I started at 45k a year. Today, my base pay, if I only work 36 hours a week (full time) I make ~60k. I work weekend nights though, and that's the best pay. I also work crazy OT, so I actually make about 50% more than that. The way I worked the first 4 months of the year I was going to break 6 figures, but I've actually cut back a ton recently so that won't happen.

The economy doesn't directly affect me, except that we have seen a national slight decrease in births because of the economic uncertainty. Oh sure, we'll still have our fair share of medicaid 18 year olds having their 5 baby, but for the "normal" people it's decreased.

#22 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 5,752 posts
    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

Very interesting thread Alyssa!

I am a journalist in an editorial position (meaning I edit, I'm not a lowly reporter haha, just kidding, nothing against reporters) at a private company that publishes magazines. I prefer not to say which co/mag in case someone googles it and finds my posts.

I make way more money than most other people my age in my field, and I have a master's degree (which most journos dont have because they think it's a waste, but you cant teach college without a masters!). I'll make about $50K with my year end bonus and service award this year. I also teach college journalism as an adjunct faculty member at the school where I got my masters degree. I typically teach one class a semester, which ups my earnings by a few thousand dollars. In the fall semester, I am due for a big teaching raise due to my service hours, which will be a nice supplement to my income in the fall. I will use that money to pay toward my massive mountain of student loan debt.

The average piddly reporter just out of college makes around $20K, so thank god I went and got a masters and got good contacts that led me to my current job!

#23 Heidi

Heidi
    • 2,642 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

I'm a Marketing Manager for a tour operator. I have my MBA - and I would like to be making a bit more salary with how much money I shelled out for grad school. That said, I'm on the younger end of MBA recipients, so I just have to be patient & watch that salary grow with time & experience!

The current state of the economy is NOT being kind to the travel industry, but luckily so far it hasn't affected me.
      Married April 4, 2008 at the Riu Ocho Rios!

#24 alex

alex
      • 1,139 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

6 months a year I work on contracts for Canada Revenue Agency as a general office clerk - when on contract I would be making approx. 32K but right now I am on EI (employment insurance) & surprisingly it'll come to 15K for the year. I should have a new contract coming up, but I need to decide what to do - the job is 3 hours away & I don't want to leave home again. I may have to go back to school but who knows what for!!
        It's pretty bad when I've worked for the Federal Government but I can't get a basic office job in the city I live in!

#25 Robyn Louise Photography

Robyn Louise Photography
        • 2,171 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

I work at a copper mine, in the warehouse... for three more weeks until I quit to do the wedding photography thing full time!

#26 MissyR

MissyR
          • 1,210 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:48 PM

I am a health lawyer working for a not-for profit organization. I love my job and have been here for almost three years. We do a host of health policy and legislative interpretation (most people would say YAWN!) and the people are great too. I came from a law firm where I worked 24/7 which has been a great change! I make between $80,000 - $100,000....

#27 Alyssa

Alyssa
            • 11,793 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:55 PM

this thread has really got me thinking about the 'glass ceiling' - i wonder how much our FI's all make - i see the average so far on this thread is the $30000 to $50000 range - i bet it is higher for men!

what do you girls think about another poll for our FI's/DH's so we can get a sense?

#28 Yari

Yari
              • VIP Member
              • 10,928 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:00 PM

I think it sounds good, very interesting topic.

#29 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
                • 11,659 posts
                • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Alyssa
                this thread has really got me thinking about the 'glass ceiling' - i wonder how much our FI's all make - i see the average so far on this thread is the $30000 to $50000 range - i bet it is higher for men!

what do you girls think about another poll for our FI's/DH's so we can get a sense?
                when steve and i first met i was making more than him but now he makes more than me...

i think part of making more money is taking more risk. i worked my butt off in my early 20's instead of graduating from college. it was a big risk but i was able to buy a house at 24 on my own.

i had a comfy job in real estate and took a risk changing careers but it has also paid off. i have never been a 9-5er collecting a salary...i have always worked commission only and have had to hustle.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
                Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
                Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
                Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
                sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
                Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#30 can't wait!

can't wait!
                • 517 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Maura
                  Very interesting thread Alyssa!

I am a journalist in an editorial position (meaning I edit, I'm not a lowly reporter haha, just kidding, nothing against reporters) at a private company that publishes magazines. I prefer not to say which co/mag in case someone googles it and finds my posts.

I make way more money than most other people my age in my field, and I have a master's degree (which most journos dont have because they think it's a waste, but you cant teach college without a masters!). I'll make about $50K with my year end bonus and service award this year. I also teach college journalism as an adjunct faculty member at the school where I got my masters degree. I typically teach one class a semester, which ups my earnings by a few thousand dollars. In the fall semester, I am due for a big teaching raise due to my service hours, which will be a nice supplement to my income in the fall. I will use that money to pay toward my massive mountain of student loan debt.

The average piddly reporter just out of college makes around $20K, so thank god I went and got a masters and got good contacts that led me to my current job!

Hey, I'm a reporter! We aren't so bad! j/k Maura
                  And I too got a masters degree out of college. Teaching at a local college wouldn't be so bad now that I think of it. But I will have to wait until I'm ready for a career change. I'm a TV reporter for a top ten market and that is extremely fun but demanding. I can't complain about the pay though, I will be pushing 100k this year and I'm a year from turning 30. Life could be worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users