Originally Posted by chipotle99
Holy crap, you do have 2 months left, I was thinking that's really soon, then I saw your date, 11-11-10, and I freaked out a little too. I'm 11-13-10! So maybe I'll run into your wedding there! Congrats you two... breath a little, there's a little more than two months there!
Ok...I'll try to help you out.
1. Flowers: I'm doing the bridal bouquet with them that's included, for all other flowers, I got an outside florist/WC that has realistic prices (Dreams quoted me $80 for the BM bouquets, this woman quoted me $25). I'm also using her for gazebo decorations and my reception decorations, I just have to pay the $100 outside vendor fee, but her prices make up for that over and over again. I know very little on this. I was going to go with black magic or black bacarra roses for my bouquet, but it was at least $150, so I just asked for very deep red and could stay in the package. Then I opted out of all the bouquets and corsages in lieu of parasols (I think they are like 7 or 8 dollars and I will bring them. I may just not do boutineres (sp?) or I may copy someone else's idea and do a sea shell boutinere. (just ideas in case you decide not to go with the flowers). I also got rose petals for the runner and the flower girl basket instead of those. I wonder if I could do the butterfly release on my own through a vendor and just pay the $100 fee.
2. Reception centerpieces: Again, most definitely NOT included. Dreams quoted me $180 and Carolina got quoted over $200 PER centerpiece. I'm getting them from the florist/WC for $50 a pop, really pretty high ones too with calla lilis and pink roses. I feel like I'm advertising for her and I swear she's not paying me! lol, she just does an awesome job and is making everything I wanted possible within my budget. She responds to emails the same day too, so I feel a lot more secure. She may still be available for your date since it's not on a weekend, see her website here: http://www.floresjul...rpieces.html Again, not too sure on this. I am bringing my own in and got those flags (3) that you see waving on the beach. I think i heard someone say that floral ones cost a lot, but they provide more basic ones (a round bowl with a candle inside placed in sand and shells), and i'm wondering if that's less than the flowers (there a pic of that on my site visit review).
3. Shipping: I thought about that, but heard it's a nightmare. If you do a search on the forum, you will see, most people felt like it was a major nightmare to ship stuff, their things would get confiscated at customs, and you have to pay up to 300% the claimed value to get it back (taxes of course). If anything is labeled made in China, it's not allowed in. I'm doing carry on. I wanted to do carry one, then wondered if it would be too much. So I contemplated shipping. If you do ship, Claudia suggests that you do it well in advance and use Fed Ex and definitely not the US Post (this is where I poke fun of my postal employee parents). If I do ship, I am shipping my dollar tree vases for my centerpieces (taking off china sticker first!) and will do it very early, so that if they do get claimed, I won't have to pay so much to buy more and take them on the plane. But if they do make it, one less thing for me to carry! I will let you know how it works if I do ship!
4. Cocktail for dinner: I only got 10 too, haven't heard of anyone getting more than that. The included cake is so small, you could prob get a tray of cookies at most for it. I'd just keep it and have it be extra cake. I also got 10. I hear the cake will actually feed way more than 10 people (by brides and claudia). After dinner, most people aren't going to be able to eat that much anyway. I did hear one bride say they were able to trade for these fruit tartlettes, then decided against it. Then, after trying one a day later, really wished they would have went for them.
5. DJ- I was being careful with this too as it seems like a lot to spend. But then, it's your WEDDING, and even $1000 isn't a lot to spend on your wedding day. The DJ really makes the party, that's what people will be talking about forever, the fun and dancing. If you're really on a budget and absolutely can't, I'd suggest continuing the dance party at the Dreams club or something. We are bringing a Bose sound dock. We brought it with us on our site visit and it was very loud for the Himitsu beach. Even though it's by the restaurant, you can move the party more toward the water and away from the people. We are nervous about not having a dj to make the party, but I have heard many brides say that it's more up to the bride and groom. If they are dancing and having fun, so will your guests. we are trying to get a bunch of fun songs downloaded and a variety to fit all of our guests needs (if they would book already so we knew who was coming, LOL) If you can afford it, I say go for it!! they have a nice dance floor too! I wish we could, but I wanted to splurge on bringing a photographer, staying 2 weeks, and possible doing butterflies (can't have everything I guess).
Good luck and congrats on having your dress taken in! lol, wish I could say the same!
You guys are getting married so close to my Bday (Nov 8th!) I'll be thinking of you all nice and cozy in the warm sun! Have a pina colada for me!