Dreams Cancun - Questions for those married here!

Hey Ladies, 

Good luck to everyone with their upcoming weddings and weight loss! You can do it!!!!

I have a question for brides who have been to Dreams. 

We want to have our ceremony and reception on the beach, with the changes they made to the beach by the gazebo, we are not sure which beach to pick.  My personal taste is natural by the ocean. Which beach would you recommend for the ceremony and reception??? 

We are trying to make our programs and realized that we are missing some key details!! Claudia has not gotten back to me yet in over a week and we go in a month! 

Any suggestions/ help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When is your wedding date?? We also leave in a month!!! Maybe we'll be there at the same time :)

Originally Posted by tomick View Post

Hey Ladies, 

Good luck to everyone with their upcoming weddings and weight loss! You can do it!!!!

We want to have our ceremony and reception on the beach, with the changes they made to the beach by the gazebo, we are not sure which beach to pick.  My personal taste is natural by the ocean. Which beach would you recommend for the ceremony and reception??? 

We are trying to make our programs and realized that we are missing some key details!! Claudia has not gotten back to me yet in over a week and we go in a month! 

Thanks!

Chipolte99,

Thanks so much for the heads up on the flowers.  I will try to get ahold of her tomorrow and price some things out.  I agree on the DJ, it is worth it.  Don't say congratulations on the dress.  I bought it at the last minute because the dress I ordered on line thru Giannabridal, was awful.  I found this one and loved it and I was right on the edge of size, and ended up getting the larger one because I did not want to worry about it.  I have lost about 10 lbs. since I got engaged and really am trying for 10 more before the wedding.  It's soooo hard though in the summer and so many parties going on.  But these last two months I am really going to buckle down.  I'm sure we will see you there, I get into Mexico on Monday 11/8/10, and fly out the following Monday.  Thanks again for your help!

Shannon

11-11-10

I had the exact same dilema when i saw the new beach by the gazebo....and because it is now so massive, we changed our wedding reception to the Himitsu beach and it was just perfect.  The sunset is also on the side of the Himitsu beach, and not the beach by the gazebo.

If you ask me, the new beach by the gazebo is too big to even offer for a wedding anymore.  They cannot set you up near the water because it is just too far away, so the wedding i saw while i was there looked kinda like it was in the middle of a desert. The Himitsu is smaller, and more intimate - we had 45 guests and it was the beach was the perfect size.  PLUS there is a bathroom very nearby...small detail that would have been a pain if on the other beach.

But, these are just my opinions!

Hey Ladies, 

Thanks!

hi ladies sorry it's been a while but i've been really busy with work and the wedding.  i see questions have been answered, just wanted to give you my input...

1.  the new pics are nice!!  and you can definately use the chiavari chairs, but it'll cost you...cecilia quoted $3/chair!!  as for pic #5 if you look really closely at the bottom right, you can see the tips of the barriers, just wanted to point this out so that we can make sure photogs know to use the right angle so that you see mostly the beautiful water.  i also love the fabric; i was trying to picture what it would look like now that the pillars are so much wider than before.  can't remember who's wedding review i also saw it in, but she got her fabric panels from ikea and they looked nice and were probably much cheaper than going through dreams!!

2.  I don't have claudias email b/c i deal with cecilia but here is her's [email protected]  i think claudia's is the same except without the "1"

btw, cecilia hasn't gotten back to me either and we leave in 3 weeks!!!  i'm over being stressed about it, i'm sure it'll all work out in the end

3.  centerpieces...we bought everything here (wal-mart, joanns fabric, michaels, hobby lobby, etc) and saved sooooo much money!! cecilia was qouting $40-$60 per table and we got EVERYTHING for 6 tables AND the gazebo for $250!!  it's a big pain in the ass to bubble wrap and pack everything, but it's worth it!  i wouldn't recommend shipping stuff there b/c i've heard stories of things getting lost or stuck at customs, etc.

4.  trades...not much help here b/c we're keeping almost everything, lol.  but cecilia is giving us the sound system for the wedding since we're getting married during the slowest month.  we are kind of "trading" flowers...

5.  flowers...i bought my bouquet from roberta (plumeria's wedding flower boutique) they got here today and i LOVE them!!!  i'll post pics in my planning thread.

we aren't using the flowers included in the package as intended but we're still keeping them.  ie, the bride's bouquet and the flowers for the sweetheart table will be turned into 3 smaller boutquets for my BMs.  the bouts, corsages, and flowers for the ceremony table will be used as flower petals for the aisle.

on another note...i emailed the minister our ceremony script today and i got an email from mike (videographer) last week.  everything's coming together, can't wait!!  pinkie.gif

Wow, everyone is so so busy! way to go!

Thanks KelZavs20: for the recommendations on the beach! That helps a great deal and is kind of what I was thinking. Himitsu beach it is. 

Meldal101010: my wedding is on October 4th, 2010, so I may see you there!

Carolina 24: do you have the email for the minister? Do I need to email him our ceremony or can I give it to Claudia when I get there? Does anyone know? And Thank you for the link to the ceremonies, I loved loved loved the first one!

Also, did the salon confirm your appointments or not??? I have not received a confirmation yet. Should I call???

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Wow, countdown is on!!! Woot woot..............it will be a blast!!

I will just add to Chipotle's so I don't repeat anything.  (btw, Chipotle, those veils pics were great.. nice to see them in action, totally agree on the cathedral now.  Just need someone to keep fixing it.  Maybe if it touches the ground, it won't be blown away!).   My additions are in red

Originally Posted by chipotle99 View Post

Holy crap, you do have 2 months left, I was thinking that's really soon, then I saw your date, 11-11-10, and I freaked out a little too.  I'm 11-13-10!  So maybe I'll run into your wedding there! :)  Congrats you two... breath a little, there's a little more than two months there! 

Ok...I'll try to help you out.

1. Flowers:  I'm doing the bridal bouquet with them that's included, for all other flowers, I got an outside florist/WC that has realistic prices (Dreams quoted me $80 for the BM bouquets, this woman quoted me $25).  I'm also using her for gazebo decorations and my reception decorations, I just have to pay the $100 outside vendor fee, but her prices make up for that over and over again.  I know very little on this.  I was going to go with black magic or black bacarra roses for my bouquet, but it was at least $150, so I just asked for very deep red and could stay in the package.  Then I opted out of all the bouquets and corsages in lieu of parasols (I think they are like 7 or 8 dollars and I will bring them.  I may just not do boutineres (sp?) or I may copy someone else's idea and do a sea shell boutinere. (just ideas in case you decide not to go with the flowers).  I also got rose petals for the runner and the flower girl basket instead of those.  I wonder if I could do the butterfly release on my own through a vendor and just pay the $100 fee.

2. Reception centerpieces: Again, most definitely NOT included.  Dreams quoted me $180 and Carolina got quoted over $200 PER centerpiece.  I'm getting them from the florist/WC for $50 a pop, really pretty high ones too with calla lilis and pink roses.  I feel like I'm advertising for her and I swear she's not paying me! lol, she just does an awesome job and is making everything I wanted possible within my budget.  She responds to emails the same day too, so I feel a lot more secure.  She may still be available for your date since it's not on a weekend, see her website here: http://www.floresjulieta.mex.tl/217534_rental-centerpieces.html    Again, not too sure on this.  I am bringing my own in and got those flags (3) that you see waving on the beach.  I think i heard someone say that floral ones cost a lot, but they provide more basic ones (a round bowl with a candle inside placed in sand and shells), and i'm wondering if that's less than the flowers (there a pic of that on my site visit review).

3. Shipping:  I thought about that, but heard it's a nightmare.  If you do a search on the forum, you will see, most people felt like it was a major nightmare to ship stuff, their things would get confiscated at customs, and you have to pay up to 300% the claimed value to get it back (taxes of course).  If anything is labeled made in China, it's not allowed in. I'm doing carry on.  I wanted to do carry one, then wondered if it would be too much.  So I contemplated shipping.  If you do ship, Claudia suggests that you do it well in advance and use Fed Ex and definitely not the US Post (this is where I poke fun of my postal employee parents).  If I do ship, I am shipping my dollar tree vases for my centerpieces (taking off china sticker first!) and will do it very early, so that if they do get claimed, I won't have to pay so much to buy more and take them on the plane.  But if they do make it, one less thing for me to carry!  I will let you know how it works if I do ship!

4.  Cocktail for dinner:  I only got 10 too, haven't heard of anyone getting more than that.  The included cake is so small, you could prob get a tray of cookies at most for it.  I'd just keep it and have it be extra cake.  I also got 10.  I hear the cake will actually feed way more than 10 people (by brides and claudia).  After dinner, most people aren't going to be able to eat that much anyway.  I did hear one bride say they were able to trade for these fruit tartlettes, then decided against it.  Then, after trying one a day later, really wished they would have went for them. 

5.  DJ- I was being careful with this too as it seems like a lot to spend.  But then, it's your WEDDING, and even $1000 isn't a lot to spend on your wedding day.  The DJ really makes the party, that's what people will be talking about forever, the fun and dancing.  If you're really on a budget and absolutely can't, I'd suggest continuing the dance party at the Dreams club or something.  We are bringing a Bose sound dock.  We brought it with us on our site visit and it was very loud for the Himitsu beach.  Even though it's by the restaurant, you can move the party more toward the water and away from the people.  We are nervous about not having a dj to make the party, but I have heard many brides say that it's more up to the bride and groom.  If they are dancing and having fun, so will your guests.  we are trying to get a bunch of fun songs downloaded and a variety to fit all of our guests needs (if they would book already so we knew who was coming, LOL)  If you can afford it, I say go for it!!  they have a nice dance floor too!  I wish we could, but I wanted to splurge on bringing a photographer, staying 2 weeks, and possible doing butterflies (can't have everything I guess).

Good luck and congrats on having your dress taken in! lol, wish I could say the same!

You guys are getting married so close to my Bday (Nov 8th!)  I'll be thinking of you all nice and cozy in the warm sun!  Have a pina colada for me!

Wow, everyone is so so busy! way to go!

Thanks KelZavs20: for the recommendations on the beach! That helps a great deal and is kind of what I was thinking. Himitsu beach it is. 

Meldal101010: my wedding is on October 4th, 2010, so I may see you there!

Carolina 24: do you have the email for the minister? Do I need to email him our ceremony or can I give it to Claudia when I get there? Does anyone know? And Thank you for the link to the ceremonies, I loved loved loved the first one!

Also, did the salon confirm your appointments or not??? I have not received a confirmation yet. Should I call???

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Wow, countdown is on!!! Woot woot..............it will be a blast!!

here's the one cecilia gave me...[email protected]

i haven't heard back from him yet though.

as for your appointments, you should definately call.  adrian dong at the salon has always answered my emails promtly.  i've had my confirmation number for months now and in the email it says you (the guest) have to call and re-confirm your appointment a week before the wedding, using this number.

btw ladies, i saw some of mikes videos on fb and they're awesome!! however i don't like how gino (minister) has the bride and groom hold the mic while they are exchanging vows/rings.  he also walks all over the place which i assume is so that the couple is always facing the guests but that just not what i pictured.  i want FI and I to face each other and have the minister behind us like in a traditional position.  also the ceremony papers are hard to manage because of the wind, (and gino just has them in a paper folder) so even though i emailed my ceremony, i'm now planning on taking a laminated copy inside a hard binder for him to use.

ANYWAY since Cecilia hasnt answered my emails in FOREVER, i called today (more about this later) to see if gino could be at the rehearsal the day before and to voice my concerns (the need for a microphone stand or a taller table for the minister to put the ceremony on while HE holds the mic).  she says that if they use a mic stand, then it would show up in the pics...well guess what?? when the bride and groom are holding the mic WHILE trying to put rings on each other's fingers, the mic is obviously going to be in the picture!!! it didn't seem like she was too interested in my concerns.  she kept saying that we could just switch the minister; which is NOT what i was saying.  i mean we're paying all this money for stuff, including the minister's service (which in my case and many of yours, is simply showing up and reading something that WE completely wrote, especially since its a symbolic ceremony!!) and she can't even get the minister there the day before?? 

AND (this is the "later" part) i tell her that we get to the resort around 2 pm on sept 22 and ask what time we should have our meeting that day and she says "oh i'm probably not going to be here that whole week." WHAT?!?!? W T F!!!!  i've been dealing with this person for over a year now and if i hadn't called today she wouldn't have even said anything about not being there.  she's going to give claudia all of our emails and such, but come on!!! it's be nice to know when you're less than a month away now.  we got off the phone and she emailed me right away to see if it was ok for us to meet claudia at 10 am....OH! MY! GOD!  I JUST TOLD YOU FIVE MINUTES AGO THAT WE DONT GET THERE TILL 2 PM!!!!!!!  and this is NOT a language barrier type of thing...I speak spanish!

I have been soooo patient with dreams this entire time, but today was just too much ladies.  if we werent so close to the wedding, i promise i'd be switching resorts...it makes me so sad to even write that but it's honestly how i feel; with 3 weeks until my wedding the whole situation really sucks!!

Carolina,

I'm so sorry sweetie.  You should not be going through this.  No bride should, especially us who have to do so much planning away.  Obviously I can't speak from experience, but I am sure once it happens, you are going to realize what a great choice Dreams was.  So many brides have their reviews with so many positives even after the bad pre-wedding experiences.  And then hopefully when it's our turn to go through this, we will have you to reassure us.  You know you can't switch now, so the best thing to do is de stress as much as possible and let things roll off your back.  You are going to be marrying the man of your dreams, in a gorgeous place, with your loved ones.  I hope that will help you, but I am sure nothing can take away all that fear and frustration.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!