Photo

Need help with bar options! Open bar? Corkage fee?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 adrianna28

adrianna28
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

Hello ladies!
    I've been quoted on open bar charges for the wedding and it seems really expensive! I was wondering if anyone chose to buy their own beer/wine/liquor and just paid the corkage fee. DId you find that this was cheaper?
    Also, does anyone know what the corkage fee is at the Sheraton?

#2 MissyR

MissyR
    • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

Can you give us a sense of what you were quoted? I know with being at an all-inclusive we were charged $10 per person for hour - essentially for a private bar and staff..

#3 adrianna28

adrianna28
      • 178 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:13 PM

I was quoted $40/person per hour!!!! STEEP!

#4 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 9,504 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

If the hotel is not an AI, $40 is a pretty standard industry rate, especially if they are doing top shelf or imports.

The corkage fee is generally based on the number of bottles opened, so it could get pricey over the course of the evening.

The best thing to do is check with the resort and see if there is any way you can bargain. Maybe serve only beer, wine, vodka, bourbon, etc. not have a full bar with blended drinks etc.

#5 happyone

happyone
          • 223 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

I think 40 dollars per hour is outrageous! I am paying $46 dollars for four hours for the cheapest bar option at my hotel. I am bringing in bottles of high end tequila, vodka, and wine which they are charging me $15 dollars a bottle but I think it's a good deal. Is the $40 per hour for high end liquor or what?

#6 ~Kate~

~Kate~
            • 329 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

Seems high! We're paying $12/person/hour. Have you asked about a consumption bar? If you're group isn't a big drinking group, this could be more economical.

#7 nikkianddean

nikkianddean
              • 1,881 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

That's really high, but it seems along the lines of the hotels in MX if it's not AI. We originally looked at Casa Que Canta in Zihua for our reception, but alcochol was $50pp/hr and Food was $80pp SEPERATELY. I would definitely inquire if supplying your own alcohol is an option, but my gut tells me they would not allow it.

On a side note, our wedding coordinator told us that we SHOULD buy our champagne on our own in MX - since it is a luxury good it is super expensive!!! I think we'll do a margarita toast though

Good luck!
                http://i264.photobuc....h/IMG_1002.jpg

Mr. & Mrs. C
                February 14, 2009

#8 marip123

marip123
                • 211 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:16 AM

That does seem high. I managed to negotiate with my hotel for a basic bar - beer, house wine, margaritas, pina coladas, soft drinks, and water for 51.00/4 hours. I was originally going to have a full bar (not top shelf) for 3 hours at 53.00 for the 3 hours. Our friends and family are definitely drinkers, but we didn't think they needed the whole bar, so I'm so happy they were able to negotiate this with me. If you ask, I bet they willl negotiate something similar to this.
                  Steph and Ben - 6/8/08! We did it!

#9 kt2434

kt2434
                  • 23 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:27 AM

Negotiate a lower price with them, or better yet, have your WC do it for you. I'm a Sheraton bride, and I've negotiated a much lower rate for beer, wine, soft-drinks, & margaritas that was much cheaper than the $40/hr rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users