Overstock.com e-ring?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#11 currier73

• 154 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

I would be a little nervous buying on the internet (that's just me). My engagement ring was a tiffany ring that by FI took to a jeweler and had it made. It was a third of the cost and it is a beautiful ring.

#12 LadyP

• 3,156 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lilpaisley
      This ring is beautiful, but I would caution you on this one. The stones clarity is I2-I3 which means visible inclusions to the naked eye. Now with the total diamond weight of 1 carat the stones are likely to be about .03 carats each...which is about 2mm. You may not notice the inclusions at that size. The color in a range of H thru J is pretty decent. Colors G thru I show almost no color to the untrained naked eye.

I would suggest a quick glance at the clarity ratings here:Diamond Buying Guide : Diamond Clarity

This will help you with your choice. I'm a Graduate Gemology student, so I'm happy to answer any questions you have about diamond buying if you want it.
      I get confused with the letters and numbers but I know he knows all that so it s just a starting point of what I would like

thanx for the chart

#13 Alyssa

• 11,793 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:34 PM

I always buy stuff from overstock - love it! i have bought a couple watches from there - i have never had a problem. i say go for it!!!

#14 LadyP

• 3,156 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:39 PM

I WANT TO but Lilpaisley has me nervous about it looking crazy or it will have a million flaws. We will look I went to robbins today and maybe zales or helzberg tomorrow

#15 Pazoop

• 223 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:56 PM

I would be very, very cautious when buying a diamond with a clarity of under the SI (slightly included)...because I1, I2 and I3 diamonds mean that when viewed "face up" from the top of the diamond you will easily be able to see the inclusions (black spots, feathers, etc.). It may seem to be an excellent "value" but in the long run you may not be happy with your purchase since the inclusions harm the stones fire and brillance.

I have a 0.75 ct RB diamond I inherited that's graded as an SI1 and I can see the inclusions in it without a loupe. It doesn't bother me in that stone but it would bother me if it was my ering. So even SI grade stones aren't always eye-clean, hence my concern for you about stones graded in the I (included) category.

What is overstock's return policy? So many people seem to have had such good experiences with them...maybe when you get the ring you'll find it has relatively "clean" I clarity stones and you can't see the inclusion. The ring itself is so beautiful and unique. But if it turns out you don't like the quality of the stones, then maybe you can return it? And continue your search?

Las Caletas Wedding and TTD Slideshow
            Photos by the awesome Nathaniel Thompson

#16 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:02 PM

my concern was the maintenence of all those stones. I would worry it would always be at the jeweler getting a stone replaced. If you buy from heltzberg, you can get the repair plan.

I might get mike's ring from overstock, but it will be a tungsten band with no stones.

#17 LadyP

• 3,156 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:18 PM

I hear everyones thoughts and views. I will talk to him when he comes in from class. He probably will say no and go to the jeweler because of his business mind and not trusting anyone. We will see. I am just glad he is finally talking about it seriously.

#18 Lilpaisley

• 402 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:39 PM

Ladies with Halzberg diamonds...make sure you take in your ring to have them inspect it every 6 months!!! if you don't, your warranty with them is void. They are fairly sticky about this. So I would make sure to keep up with it.
                  Riu Montego Bay, Jamaica - Feb 28, 2009

#19 BarefootBride

• 1,266 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:36 AM

FI Tungsten Wedding band is from there...

#20 LadyP

• 3,156 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:38 AM

he told me no I could not get that one because I need to be looking for vvs1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users