• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Celina

Celina
  • Banned
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

Okay -

We have had a terrible time finding a cake and have resorted to using the hotel for a cake. (which I have heard is good). Well - they will only do a 2 tier cake and my greedy ass wants a 3 tiered cake!

The only thing is, I am too intimidated to try to do a stacked cake with the dowels, etc. and the only 3 tiered cake stand I could find looks like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

With our topper looking like this:

Our cake will be white or ivory with a blue ribbon as decoration on the bottom of the cake and some fresh flowers around the base of the topper.

My questions are - do you think the topper needs some bling/crystals? Should I add any more to the cake (flowers)?

I think the stand is very ornate and the cake should be toned down. I don't want the cake to be too overwhelming like the one on the picture. Whatddaya think?
    "Love is not who you live with...it's who you can't live without"

#2 PrecisePlans

PrecisePlans
    • 802 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

If your cake is pretty plain, go for it.......bling it out, but if you are using that cake stand, i think you should try to keep things simple. The cake stand design draws in alot of attention just by itself.

#3 PrecisePlans

PrecisePlans
      • 802 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

Did you get your cake topper from ebay. We have the exact same kind. I added bling to mine, but i am not planning on having a fancy cake stand. Here are the pics:

our cake:

#4 Spazz

Spazz
        • VIP Member
        • 10,482 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by md_ocr
          If your cake is pretty plain, go for it.......bling it out, but if you are using that cake stand, i think you should try to keep things simple. The cake stand design draws in alot of attention just by itself.
          I agree with Marsha!

#5 jajajaja

jajajaja
          • VIP Member
          • 9,794 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

What's your cake stand look like? I'm confused- is it like the one you posted?

I pretty much agree with advice so far- pick one thing to be the "bling" factor in the cake and keep other areas more simple. It's kinda like accessorizing your outfit you know. Don't want a huge gaudy necklace, monstorous earings and a huge braclet. Otherwise it looks like Britney Spears was your stylist for the day.
            Happily married since 2008

#6 h&a

h&a
            • 321 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

I actually think you should bling out the topper - but I know I read on your previous post that your FI isn't into that. I'm perhaps biased b/c I love the bling, but I actually think in this case it would tone down the ornateness of the stand (if that's what you want) and if you did the cake topper in a few of your colors it may add a more modern element (if that's what you're going for). That's just my opinion, but as I said I'm biased towards the bling. I ordered my cake toppers from the same place as you (I believe) and I'm adding turquoise, clear, and lime green crystals... loving it so far!

#7 Celina

Celina
              • Banned
              • 2,811 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

AAaaah! I don't know what to do! The E is so scripty-scroll-ey and that cake stand is so scripty-scroll-ey too.

Looking at them together gets me all dizzy! Maybe it's just the cake on the picture and all of those flowers.

UGH - I just might have to order the cake stand and get some foam pieces or something and play around with it and see. All of those swirls just seem overpowering when I look at them together.

Maybe adding some sparkles on some of the E will actually tone it down.

#8 Celina

Celina
                • Banned
                • 2,811 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:59 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by LC_Rachel
                  What's your cake stand look like? I'm confused- is it like the one you posted?

I pretty much agree with advice so far- pick one thing to be the "bling" factor in the cake and keep other areas more simple. It's kinda like accessorizing your outfit you know. Don't want a huge gaudy necklace, monstorous earings and a huge braclet. Otherwise it looks like Britney Spears was your stylist for the day.
                  Yeah Rachel, it is the one that's posted - except the cake will be plain with a single blue ribbon on the base of each cake. Only the top cake will have flowers around the base of the monogram - the rest will be plain.

#9 Betsy

Betsy

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 4,513 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

As long as your cake stays simple I think it will be allright! I think blinging out the E is a good idea.

#10 gkashmira

gkashmira
                    • 1,962 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by md_ocr
                      I agree - keep it simple and elegant!
                      Kashmira & Dan
                      Happily married since June 16, 2007
                      http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
                      Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
                      Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users