Photo

Be careful!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shannon

shannon
  • 772 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

Hey guys-- this thread might be a little depressing, but thought it would be important to post. I have an olive tint to my skin and tan "easily" - I grew up at the pool- lifeguarded throughout HS, etc. Tanning has always been a pretty big part of my summer and I look forward to having a tan, and how it makes me feel skinnier :) and prettier... I got this article from my sister-- and it really hit home for me... I wanted to pass along-- Please be careful with sun exposure!

The two-minute cancer test: Health: glamour.com

#2 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for that, it is a great reminder for all DW brides.

#3 hollisandsteph

hollisandsteph
      • 419 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

I lost a very close friend 5 years ago to skin cancer. She was 26 years old (sadly she had a 2 year old at the time) and when having it removed the cancer spread into her lungs. This is serious stuff.
        On the plus side, ever since I have been much more aware of the effects of sun on my skin. I use sunblock all the time. It also helps slow down the aging process and since I am in my early 30's now that is something I am very awear of..lol As bad as all this is did I recently start tanning. This is the first time I have done this in 5 years and I am only doing it until after the wedding. I am a size 16 and need the help looking smaller in my wedding dress plus with a white dress I almost need to be tan. I am awear of the consequences but I feel like it is such a short term thing.

#4 Ana

Ana

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 8,047 posts
        • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
        • LocationToronto

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:41 AM

thank you so much for this article! Its really scary

#5 Yari

Yari
        • VIP Member
        • 10,928 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for sharing!

#6 StephanieMN

StephanieMN
          • 1,798 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

It is pretty scary what the sun can do/ I , too, an tanning right now but have not done it in ages. I am very freckled and have many moles so I am always keeping an eye open.
            It was nice to see the photos and see that I currently have no issues.
            THanks!

#7 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
            • 4,881 posts
            • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
            • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
            • LocationNew York

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

I've had numerous moles removed over the last 15 years or so - fortunately none of them have been problematic, but then again none of them has been "clean", either.

If you feel like you need color, I can't encourage you enough to use a self tanner, or go to a salon and use a spray tan. I have several very fair-skinned friends that swear by the Jergens tanning lotions.

Sunscreen is your friend! My derm tells me that a 20 is the lowest anyone should wear - anything less and you're fooling yourself into thinking you're protected.

Be safe my BDW buddies! We like having you around!

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#8 shannon

shannon
            • 772 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by becks
              I've had numerous moles removed over the last 15 years or so - fortunately none of them have been problematic, but then again none of them has been "clean", either.

If you feel like you need color, I can't encourage you enough to use a self tanner, or go to a salon and use a spray tan. I have several very fair-skinned friends that swear by the Jergens tanning lotions.

Sunscreen is your friend! My derm tells me that a 20 is the lowest anyone should wear - anything less and you're fooling yourself into thinking you're protected.

Be safe my BDW buddies! We like having you around!
              Thanks for tip about Jergens- I wondered if it worked... :)

#9 jamisoncollette

jamisoncollette
              • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

The Mystic Spray tan was recommended to me, five minutes in a booth and you are good for about a week.

#10 angitalia23

angitalia23
                • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

This article is good to let us become more aware- but oh so sad & scary. I regret all of the tanning I did throughout high school and even in college....so dumb!
                  Anthony & Angela
                  19 June 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users