Sign in to follow this  
AmandaR

Getting "married" before DW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastman2be View Post
I'm happy to see that so many other "brides" did a civil ceremony at home before the DW. I've been thinking about it but wasn't sure how it would work. I originally wanted to get married on the date that we met but it's the day before Easter in 2010 and Jamaica basically closes down on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. It is also the 3rd busiest time to visit Jamaica. So we were going to wait until after the 15th since rates drop almost 30%. Maybe we could work it out getting married here first. What about getting married here 1 year early...Is that too far in advance. I just don't know what to do? Sorry for the rambling!! Any suggestions? I know this is corny but I want our wedding date to signify something in our relationship...We met on 4/3, first date 4/14, moved in 2/14 etc. Should I just pick a date to pick a date??
we will probably do 1 month before on the same day, May 21st.

we are doing it after because I want the first wedding to mean the most. Civil to me is just for legality and not that much important for a piece of paper. The spiritual was more important to me.

My opinion is that a year is to far in advance. Now that's just my opinion.

I went back and forth between the legal and the symbolic ceremony. I wanted the actual ceremony in Cabo to be our real wedding, but after doing alot of research it is much easier (and less expensive) to have your legal wedding at the courthouse in the USA.

Hi Girls -- was reading the thread, lots of good info, might actually get married before DW. Off topic, where did all of you get those cute little logos made with the your names and date of the wedding? I want one :):)

Legal ceremony for us beforehand, too.

We didn't want to deal with all the paperwork and translation of documents.

We also didn't tell anyone except for our parents. No one else will know wink.gif

Yeah, it makes sense to just get legally married beforehand. As for the rings.... that's something to discuss. We'll probably just wait to go to the JOP a week before MX and then only have 2 close friends to witness it (maybe at lunch time or something). I like the idea with just friends and not parents so they can appreciate the special day as the first and last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastman2be View Post
I'm happy to see that so many other "brides" did a civil ceremony at home before the DW. I've been thinking about it but wasn't sure how it would work. I originally wanted to get married on the date that we met but it's the day before Easter in 2010 and Jamaica basically closes down on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. It is also the 3rd busiest time to visit Jamaica. So we were going to wait until after the 15th since rates drop almost 30%. Maybe we could work it out getting married here first. What about getting married here 1 year early...Is that too far in advance. I just don't know what to do? Sorry for the rambling!! Any suggestions? I know this is corny but I want our wedding date to signify something in our relationship...We met on 4/3, first date 4/14, moved in 2/14 etc. Should I just pick a date to pick a date??
Yes, I think you should just pick a date if none of the other dates will pan out. If they can work so be it, if not pick something that's available and then you'll both have another monumental date. :)

We are getting married befor DW on a special date to us. Although we won't be exchanging rins. I will continue to wear my engagement only and he won't be wearing one. And we're only having a friend be our witness so our ceremony will be what the family remembers