Photo

We have everything...is there a polite way to ask for cash?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 Celina

Celina
  • Banned
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:44 AM

My FI and I have everything. I guess there are some new things we could use, but honestly would prefer to get cash as gifts instead. Is there a polite way to ask for cash?

Someone asked my FI the other day where we were registered and he didn't know what to say.

If people want to give us gifts I am not saying no....HELLO...who couldn't use new sheets or new pots and pans??

Although I would just prefer cash! Don't know what to do!
    "Love is not who you live with...it's who you can't live without"

#2 Amy&Andy

Amy&Andy
    • VIP Member
    • 3,405 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

I'm in the same boat.....but havn't quite figured out this answer yet, so I'll be interested to hear the responses. On my shower invites, my aunt wrote, "Call me for a great gift idea" and will have a little money tree thing as a centerpiece. For our AHR I really don't want any gifts, but my FMIL is having a fit about asking her fancy friends to give money.....whatever....I said I would stay home then.

#3 Allaballa

Allaballa
      • 113 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:59 AM

Ettiquette says there is no expectation of gifts at a wedding or a shower. Realistically speaking you should still register. Just register for super expensive items and hope that the guests will get the idea.

One of my co-workers had a registry where the cheapest thing was $300. She got all envelopes.

#4 BrittneyD

BrittneyD
        • 679 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:05 PM

Have you considered getting a honeymoon registry. We are doing ours through our travel agent. They apply the money directly to our balance. For us, it was the best way to get "cash", and still wllow our guests to fell like they got us something.
          Brittney & Peter
          July 12, 2008
          Riu Ocho Rios

http://tickers.Ticke....2452/event.png

#5 Can'tHardlyWait

Can'tHardlyWait
          • 812 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

Ditto on the ettiquette thing, but I think there is a way around it. When we were getting ready to register, my FSIL told me a little secret: Bed Bath abd Beyond gives back cash on registry returns! Why not register for a few items there - things you might like to keep, like sheets, towels, etc... If you change your mind after the wedding, you can always return everything for cash. I know it's a bit sneaky, but this way people who want to give gifts can and no one is offended.

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Galit
              Ditto on the ettiquette thing, but I think there is a way around it. When we were getting ready to register, my FSIL told me a little secret: Bed Bath abd Beyond gives back cash on registry returns! Why not register for a few items there - things you might like to keep, like sheets, towels, etc... If you change your mind after the wedding, you can always return everything for cash. I know it's a bit sneaky, but this way people who want to give gifts can and no one is offended.
              I was going to say the same sneaky thing.

#7 Alyssa

Alyssa
              • 11,793 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

i would go the sneaky or return route - IMHO there is NO polite way to ask for cash or a gift - it is tacky

#8 Yari

Yari
                • VIP Member
                • 10,928 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

I think it would be tacky to ask for cash. IMHO.

I liked the idea of registering for very expensive items, so you get the envelopes.

But isn't there anything you don't have that you wouldn't mind getting?

#9 jillhiggins

jillhiggins
                  • Banned
                  • 386 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

Sorry, but I agree. It just isn't polite to ask for money no matter how you do it.

#10 JennyK

JennyK
                    • 3,502 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

I've heard of "Money Showers" where there's no gifts, just money.. but I'd do the Bed Bath & Beyond thing where you register for a few things, and return them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users