AVERY label help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 melwru

• 207 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:44 AM

So I bought these mailing labels from Staples. They are Staples brand but as the outside of the package tells me, are compatible and the same as Avery label 5162. When I bring up the template and insert my info everything appears to line up perfectly on the print preview, but when I print them out they are all wrong. The text begins printing before the label starts. I have checked and double checked, it looks like everything should match up. What could I be doing wrong?
    any suggestions?

#2 lucy106

• 2,880 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

Is the top margin not set right? Those things never seem to work smoothly for me, takes a little tweaking.

#3 Saraha

• 2,597 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

Also did you go to "tools" then to "labels and Envelops" and put the correct Avery code in there?

#4 ACDCDCAC

• Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:43 PM

Margins! I did this just last night! And I used the Staples brand, the code said "compatible with Avery Template 5160/8160" and I used the FIRST one, 5160. I still had to adjust the left margin, so depending on what margin you need to adjust. You may need to also go into each label and delete the "paragraph" sign, to make sure the address is centered. I had to do this on every address that had 4 lines. Weird.

#5 melwru

• 207 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try to ajust the margins and see if that helps. It looks like its the top margin that is causing me trouble.

#6 melwru

• 207 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

Ok, So my next question is, How do I adjust the top margin. I think I need to bring it down a bit, so it starts printing the text on the actual label and not above it?

#7 jmill130

• 601 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

Are you using MS Word? It could also be a printer setting, sometimes printers have margin settings saved in them too(although i think its mostly laser printers). I would bet its the setting in the software.

#8 Jenn3878

• 5,681 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

My printer at home works fine with any labels (its a bit old) and my newer printer here at work is MUCH newer and doesnt print labels at all. Some of the other printers we have here are new too and they dont either

#9 melwru

• 207 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

Yes. I am using MSWord. How do I tweek the margins?

#10 becks

• VIP Member
                  • 4,881 posts
                  • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
                  • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
                  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

Go to file, page setup, and then select margins. Increase it a bit. My suggestion is to print on blank paper, then put a sheet of the labels in front and check the alignment in front of a lamp or something. At least that way you won't waste all your labels getting the alignment right.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users