Photo

Opt out of reception?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Alesha4

Alesha4
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

Did anyone opt out of having a reception. My FH is insistent on not paying for something where its all inclusive. Especially when we are paying for a nice reception at home. Does that seem tacky not to have something?

Did anyone find ways around this where it could be free? I recall reading something about semi-private receptions that were free. but now I cant find it.

The search tool isn't that great. I am gonna have to find a thread on here that gives tips and tricks to this search thing.

#2 Sandra E.

Sandra E.
    • 2,183 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

It's really up to you, but you should check with your resort about dinner. Most of the AI resorts can arrange for a semi-private dinner. You just have to arrange it before your arrival and tell them how many people are attending.

#3 jmhein

jmhein
      • 665 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

You could just do the semi-private dinner at Mammee Bay, there is no extra cost for that. And then you all could just head to one of the bars for all-inclusive drinks, or take in some of the free entertainment!
        ------------------------------------------------MARRIED at the Riu Ocho Rios - Feb 12, 2008 - Best day of our lives!Honeymooned at Sandals Whitehouse European Village - Feb 16-23

My Riu Ocho Rios Wedding Review with Pics

#4 PrecisePlans

PrecisePlans
        • 802 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

how many people are you having? If you are getting married at Riu, i believe that they offer a free wedding reception for up to 10 people........but, honestly, i'm not sure. you can also just use one of the open area outside bars or plan a group dinner at one of the specialty restaurants.

#5 jmhein

jmhein
          • 665 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

Alesha - I was assuming you are getting married at Riu Ocho Rios, but I'm not sure? Mammee Bay semi-private dinner is free for up to 50 people.
            ------------------------------------------------MARRIED at the Riu Ocho Rios - Feb 12, 2008 - Best day of our lives!Honeymooned at Sandals Whitehouse European Village - Feb 16-23

My Riu Ocho Rios Wedding Review with Pics

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Alesha4

The search tool isn't that great. I am gonna have to find a thread on here that gives tips and tricks to this search thing.

Bugs, issues or "how to" navigate forum questions.

This is the part of the forum that has tips for how to navigate

http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t13834
              About searching

there is also advanced search.

I don't know of a specific thread about not having a reception. We are not planning to. We'll just have dinner in one of the restaurants. Then we will just enjoy free drinks & entertainment at the hotel. We won't have a lot of people with us. Many will have been out in the sun all day & will probably be worn out after dinner. I don't care to have anything as structured as our own reception.

#7 MelanieS

MelanieS
              • 820 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

My daugter's fiance also was balking at having to pay to have a reception at an all-inclusive. Since they decided not to have a wedding cake, we are instead paying for a dessert reception. The price pretty much is the same, but with more dessert choices. Also, they are taking their Ipod and own speakers so they can have a dance.

#8 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 3,754 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

IMHO, if I went to a DW that didn't have some sort of reception/gathering/party, I'd be a little annoyed.

#9 Yari

Yari
                  • VIP Member
                  • 10,928 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:31 PM

My friend had a DW and didn't have a reception. It was a little odd. The wedding was awesome and so was the vacation, but it felt like something was missing.

#10 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by amyh
                      IMHO, if I went to a DW that didn't have some sort of reception/gathering/party, I'd be a little annoyed.
                      I feel like it doesn't have to be so structured though. Atleast I know I wouldn't mind. I feel like there is so much we can do that the hotel together that I don't need to plan something just so it's private.

I want people to feel comfortable doing whatever they want. if they want to go to sleep after dinner, go to a club, sing karaoke in the hotel, go to the beach, etc. I want them to do just that. We will have all gone on an excursion together the day before so we will have spent lots of time together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users