Photo

FI wants to wear a kilt...ON THE BEACH!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 trisha0612

trisha0612
  • 491 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

Okay, about 15 minutes ago, FI drops it on me he's thinking of having his grooms men..as well as himself wear kilts for the wedding. I forced a smile and said, it's your day too honey! Immediately walked in here and I'm freaking dumbfounded! First off, honey...your like 20% scottish, let's get real here! I'm like 5% English and I do not plan on having a freakin TEA PARTY instead of a cocktail hour. Secondly, I do think that if we were getting married in a traditional church or whatever I would be completely okay with that. But honestly, on a beach And his dad is his best man..and it's going to be hot, and god knows I do not want to think of what will be sweating it's you know what off underneath the damn thing.....

Am I being neurotic here??
    Travis & Trish
    10-10-08
    Tulum..uhh I mean Cancun, MX

#2 foxytv

foxytv
    • VIP Member
    • 7,740 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

lol. I think that's funny. Sorry! :-)

Are they going to wear the full she-bang with the nee socks and all. Boy that would be HOT (heat wise, I'm not thinking very sexy, lol).

#3 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:14 AM

Yeah, I'd think you need to be atleast 50% scottish to wear a kilt at your wedding. What about coming up with another way for him to celebrate his scottish heritage? Green beer? Clovers in your boquet? Sorry, I only know the st patricks day version of scotland.

#4 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 24,768 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

I guess if he feels strongly about it - I say let him! But it doesn't seem very comfortable to me at all! Are you having an AHR, maybe he could wear the kilt there?

#5 CarrieRN

CarrieRN
          • 815 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

I think in order to wear a certain plaid, you have to be able to prove that you are of that clan. My stepdad got one in Scotland of his grandmother's clan. He wore it in a cruise and some scottish guy came up to him to make sure he knew something about it.
            http://i236.photobuc....m/IMG_1472.jpg
            Philip at 1 yr old. Go Steelers!
            Soon I will get to post wedding pics, figure I should get some more Philip in first!

http://dv.daisypath.com/Mvdhm5/.png

#6 DreaW

DreaW
            • Banned
            • 2,462 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

i think he should really wear the kilt at your AHR if you have one....I agree with the previous posts :)

#7 shannon

shannon
              • 772 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

I don't have any real advice- but your post made me laugh out loud- for real...your FI sounds hilarious! Definitely would make a good story- hehe....

#8 nat4crim

nat4crim
                • 163 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:29 AM

OMG...that's too funny. I'm sooo sorry hun. I know you should want to honour your FH's feelings about what he wants to wear on his wedding day but to be honest I think if it were me I'd beg and plead for him to not wear the kilt. I would go as far as saying I don't find kilts on men attractive at all and does he really want to turn me off on our wedding day.

#9 jmhein

jmhein
                  • 665 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:41 AM

LOL! Tell him if he wants the kilt, you want a tea party!!!
                    ------------------------------------------------MARRIED at the Riu Ocho Rios - Feb 12, 2008 - Best day of our lives!Honeymooned at Sandals Whitehouse European Village - Feb 16-23

My Riu Ocho Rios Wedding Review with Pics

#10 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
                    • 4,881 posts
                    • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
                    • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
                    • LocationNew York

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

Oh dear. How can you tell him that you think its a bad idea? Because you've undoubtedly (if you're anything like me) all but dictatated everything thus far, and now that he wants to add his two cents, its not like you have a right to cut him off. Ugh.

But, I'd let him know that maybe you're not fully behind the kilt thing, and bring up a few reasons - heat, what plaid, the real significance of kilts (do some research first), etc.

Maybe you can dissuade him (because it sounds like its a bit of a random thought to him right now), but I'd act fast before the kilt thing takes hold.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users