Sign in to follow this  
starchild

Why I hate when it rains in Los Angeles

I love the rain and it rarely rains here. We've been getting much needed rain all week - YES!!

But - the city of L.A. was not designed for rain. There are no gutters here. You know the drains adjacent to sidewalks that most cities have? Don't have those. In 10 years of living here I've seen a handful. What we have is a dip in certain intersections. So when it rains heavily the intersections with dips become full-on ponds. The streets become hydroplane central.

People still think they can drive 50 in a 25 and stop on a dime. I live 1.5 miles from work and on my way home I saw 2 people spin out, one went up onto the curb and almost hit a pedestrian. At least I can find joy in watching grown men running to their cars when there is a slight drizzle....sissies!

So in the midst of "storm watch 2008" I sit here, in a flooded neighborhood, and wonder if the city planners ever considered the crazy idea that we may get more than 1 inch of rain every few years?

I guess they never really thought through the whole rain process when they designed things there. I swear to God there are more drains than sidewalks here. We get snow and when that crap starts melting it can get pretty nasty. Have you ever thought about buying a canoe?

Hey Jamy - I just wanted to say that I also like the rain - at least when it's warm. There is nothing like a summer shower. I LOVE thunderstorms too. But, not this drizzle with the snow and 2 degree weather - uck!

I can just picture the men running to their cars - funny!

I'm sure the rain + freezing temps is no fun sad.gif I love thunder too but our dog hates it. If I can catch it in time I'll take a pic with my cell of a man running...it is funny!

I hear you about the drains.. even out in the country (Camarillo) the roads aren't built for rain.. yesterday a major road was shut down and it looked like a lake.. a city truck was shoveling water off the road and as it ran in the ditch next to a field.. it looks like a raging river.. crazy.

I like the rain when I'm at home and I don't have to drive anywhere where there's mud on the road or rocks falling on my car (PCH).

Oh that's right, you're in Camarillo....well you definitely know what I'm talking about - plus the mud slide factor! Yikes!

Nic I just think people born and raised here don't know about weather, it's not their fault, but I took my driving test in the rain, you know?

Here are some news pics from this morning of what I mean about the streets here. The ends of the street aren't flooded, but the middle is:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

holy smokes! we just moved to AZ and the first day it rained we saw how much the people freaked out! they drive 20 miles per hour.. even in slight drizzle.

oh, and they have permanent road signs here that say "watch for flooding" hmm, interesting