Photo

Lifestyle photography vs. photojournalism

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Coffee Addict

Coffee Addict
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:17 AM

What is the difference between those terms? Can you tell the difference from seeing one picture versus another?

#2 Nic Dragomire

Nic Dragomire
    • 530 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:56 AM

nope, in my estimation there is no difference... You ask 10 photographers that question and you will probably get 10 different answers..

just different catch phrases..

like when it comes to weddings, sure Im going to use the word photojournalism, photojournalistic, etc...

when Im talking about a family or a children shoot... I wouldn't use the word photojournalism... to me it sounds better if I talk about a "family lifestyle" type of shoot..

just my .02

#3 jillhiggins

jillhiggins
      • Banned
      • 386 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

There is a difference, but a lot of photographers don't seem to know what the difference is. So...you will see a lot of photographers calling themselves photojournalists when they are not.

Photojournalism is capturing events as they naturally happen without interrupting or creating anything. A photojournalist would not direct a client where to stand or how to position themselves at all. If a photojournalist wanted to take a dress shot or a ring shot - they wouldn't move it to a prettier or more artistic setting - they would shoot it where they saw it. When you think of photojournalism, think of a newspaper photographer - they need everthing to be absolutely truthful/accurate - and not contrived in any way. Some wedding and portrait photgraphers are strict photojournalists as well.

A lifestyle photographer is documenting a lifestyle or event. They may move things around to re-position people or things. This is the approach that I take. Honestly, I think I can sometimes better tell the story of the day (or the family or whatever) by moving things around. I also enjoy getting artistic shots of the couple.

I hope that makes sense! :)

#4 jillhiggins

jillhiggins
        • Banned
        • 386 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

** Edited **

Oops...accidently posted twice.

#5 Nic Dragomire

Nic Dragomire
          • 530 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Well then according to Jill at some points during a wedding I am a photojournalist and at other points I'm a lifestyle photographer...

I think when you "re-position people or things" then its not their life you are documenting... its not how they would have seen it, done it or placed things, or interacted in that situation, its your feeling or impression of the client you are tying to record. You have successfully altered the client or their surroundings. :)

But like I said "You ask 10 photographers that question and you will probably get 10 different answers" :)

#6 jayreilly

jayreilly
            • Banned
            • 57 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

lifestyle photograpahy comes from advertising and brand campaign photography. it is a term that defines photography by shooting senarios that reinforce the lifestyle of a market or demograpahic.

for example, Abercrombie and Fitch has a VERY determined agenda about what people want to look and act like by shooting lifestyle photography. Same holds true with any strong brands that are image conscience and smart.

There images are totally different than rolex watches, which might feature a well-to-do good looking man in his 50s on a sailboat...or in a sportscar...

I shoot a ton of lifestyle photography for my stock work, some editorial, and for clients like nike, activia, marika...but i would not call my wedding photography lifestyle ;-)

Dont get too sucked into the terms of defining wedding photography, because when it comes down to it, it is wedding photography and thats what is should be called.

BUT what is important is if you like it!

#7 Nic Dragomire

Nic Dragomire
              • 530 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:21 AM

uuuhhhhh... what Jay said :)

#8 sohappy

sohappy
                • 260 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:29 AM

This thread was helpful for me, now I have a better idea how to express what type of photographs I want verbally.

#9 Coffee Addict

Coffee Addict
                  • 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

Thank you, these are very helpful!:)

#10 jayreilly

jayreilly
                    • Banned
                    • 57 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:08 PM

no problem;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic