DIY Brooch Bouquet

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#11 acireta

acireta
  • Site Supporter
  • 750 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

I fell in love with brooch bouquets while perusing the internet, but I quickly found out that buying one would be completely out of our budget. So I decided to DIY! This was quite the project, and DIYing ended up saving me several hundred dollars, but it was still pretty pricey.

I mentioned the idea to my mom, and she LOVED it! She immediately bought me a few pins and lent me one of her favorite brooches. I had a few in my jewelry box, and most of the rest I purchased online. The best sources were 01 5.20.11 060.jpg

Brooches all laid out

02 5.20.11 058.jpg

I bought all of the supplies (other than the brooches) from Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I even got the real touch roses from Hobby Lobby. They were 50% off one weekend, and I decided to just go for it! I later found out that they would have been way more expensive online, so I was happy.

I did a ton of research when starting this project. These are some of the links that really helped me out, along with a ton of googling:

03 bouquet inspiration pic.jpg

So now the how-to...

Erica & Al - April 3, 2012 - St. Thomas, USVI

Planning Thread

Wedding & AHR Pics

#12 acireta

acireta
    • Site Supporter
    • 750 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

Supplies:

30-40 brooches

12 real touch roses (leaves and thorns removed)

2 bunches of silk hydrangea (I got the cheap stuff since it’s just filler) – remove and set aside the large leaves

18” 20-gauge green and silver wire

Floral tape

Scissors

Needle-nosed pliers

Wire cutters

Glue gun

Ribbon for handle

Pins

Patience!

Some of my supplies (don’t mind the callas, they’re for my bridesmaids’ bouquets)

04 IMG_3356.JPG

1. Fold two pieces of wire in half. Loop wire through each brooch. I used two pieces of wire on each brooch, twisting each piece by itself and then twisting together.

05 IMG_3239.JPG

2. I’m glad I got silver AND green wires because I often had to put the wire through the front of the brooch, and the silver wire blended much better.

3. Each brooch on its stem should not wobble or droop when you’re done. It really helped to use the pliers to do the twisting and to make it nice and snug, because I killed my fingers on the first few before I switched to pliers.

4. Don’t twist the wire too tight, or you’ll bend or break the pin in half (especially if it’s cheap like some of mine were). Thankfully, I was able to wire this one back together. The fix looks messy from close-up, but you can’t really see the wiring in the bouquet.

06 IMG_3243.JPG

07 IMG_3247.JPG

5. Cover the “stems” with floral tape.

08 IMG_3266.JPG

10 IMG_3267.JPG

6. Start assembling your bouquet! Start with a large rose and a few big brooches in the center and work your way out, rotating as you go. Tape every few pieces to make it easy on yourself. This will also make the bouquet more stable at the end, with a smoother handle.

7. Bend the roses and brooches around until you’re satisfied with their placement. This is the point where I tore it apart and redid it a few times until I was happy with it. I also put it in a closet for a few days, and I liked it a lot better after the break!

11 IMG_3308.JPG

8. After all of your brooches and roses are taped together, tape a bunch of hydrangea on each side of the bouquet to cover the wires.

9. Tape the four large hydrangea leaves at the base of the bouquet to finish it off.

12 IMG_3273.JPG

13 IMG_3274.JPG

Continued...

Planning Thread

Wedding & AHR Pics

#13 acireta

acireta
      • Site Supporter
      • 750 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

10. Trim the wires so that only the rose and hydrangea stems are visible below the floral tape. Trim the stems to a few inches below the tape, and seal the ends with hot glue.

11. Wrap the stems with ribbon and secure with pins. I attached a memorial charm for my dad who passed away a few years ago. He will be with me when I walk down the aisle. From Etsy seller YourCharmedWedding.

14 IMG_3387.JPG

Finished product:

15 IMG_3386.JPG

16 IMG_3305.JPG

17 IMG_3384.JPG

18 IMG_3385.JPG

Some of my favorite brooches: the first “brooch” I got – was actually a big stretchy rose ring

19 IMG_3291.JPG

Lent from Mom 

20 IMG_3289.JPG

And finally... Go White Sox!

21 IMG_3290.JPG

Since I’m so early (doing things that can be done without a guest count), I put all the bouquets in small vases, into plastic bags to protect them from dust and the cats, on a top shelf in my closet.

This was a big project, and this thing is HEAVY lol but it was a really good time, and I’m really glad I did it because I’ll have the bouquet of my dreams to go with the man of my dreams on my wedding day J

Hope you enjoyed my write-up. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Planning Thread

Wedding & AHR Pics

#14 BeachBridein11

BeachBridein11
        • 610 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

Great tutorial!  You did a fantastic job!

Married in Paradise!!

June 17th, 2011

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

#15 JayKay

JayKay
          • 3,470 posts
          • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
          • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
          • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

Wow, I have never seen anything like it but I LOVE it!!!  It looks absolutely amazing and will look great on your wedding day!

#16 futuremrstgun

futuremrstgun
          • 995 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

O M G!  this is special!!!!  LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!  unfortunately, i don't have ANY broaches..but this, my fellow DB...is a work of art!  you should be VERY proud of this DIY project!!!   R~

#17 acireta

acireta
            • Site Supporter
            • 750 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

Thank you so much, ladies!! I can't wait to use it! Everytime I open the closet that it's stashed in, I smile a little

Planning Thread

Wedding & AHR Pics

#18 kerrib

kerrib
              • 207 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

I have been torn between a brooch bouquet and a flower one, now I can do both!!! This looks STUNNING!!!!

#19 J-me

J-me
                • 398 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Beautiful work!! Thanks for sharing!

#20 Ms Di

Ms Di
                  • 153 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

I LOVE these!!!

Great job!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic