Photo

transporting wedding gown

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Darlsay

Darlsay
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:50 PM

How hard is this? Do you carry your dress on the plane with you in the dress bag?

#2 TammyB

TammyB
    • 10,630 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:51 PM

That is what I intend on doing.

#3 soulmates

soulmates
      • 538 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

Actually I'm not carrying it my future FI is!!! But yes, we are going to take it on the plan with us...

#4 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
        • 4,979 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

I would never check my dress w/the rest of my luggage. I don't care what I have to do to make sure it comes on the plane with me. From what I've heard, most airlines don't put up fuss - they even have somewhere where they'll hang it for you.
          Happily Married since May 9, 2008
          Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#5 NATASHA

NATASHA
          • 646 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

My dressmaker asked me to bring in a queen sized white sheet and a rolley bag. She packed it up for me so it wouldn't wrinkle. She said that it's more convenient to carry and less likely to get snagged or fall off the hanger if it's in a rolley versus hand carrying it.

Sure enough - the dress was barely wrinkled. I hung it up when I got there and didn't have to iron it.

BUT - I would never check it.
            Shawn and NatashaHappily MarriedNovember 11, 2006

#6 MelissaH

MelissaH
            • 1,724 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

Check with your airline first to make sure they have a spot...and then double check again when you check in for your flight....and then triple check when you get to your gate LOL

On the way down we had no trouble getting my dress on the plane - they had a little cabinet and everything to put it in. Coming home they made us put it in an overhead compartment and watch people pile their bags on top of it.

#7 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 3,754 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

Here's another thread where you can find more info http://bestdestinati...com/forum/t3914

#8 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
                • VIP Member
                • 931 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:57 PM

I carried it on and had no problems. Actually, it got us noticed and the airline employees pulled us into a special line to check us in. Nothing like special treatment

#9 Darlsay

Darlsay
                  • 46 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

Thanks Everyone. I wasn't about to check it but didn't know how easy it would to carry on.

#10 Adamsgrrl

Adamsgrrl
                    • 466 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

My seamstress gave me a good tip:

put a sheet, preferable soft cotton so the dress can breath, over the dress, then put a plastic garment bag over it, then another plastic garment bag, then a harder garment bag over it.

Ask the stewardess, they have a cabin to hang your wedding dress in the front of the plain.

Bring 100% soft Cotton (baby cotton) sheet (same sheet you use to cover your dress or a pillow case) - you can use it to smooth out any crinkles or wrinkles in your dress by lightly going over it with the cotton sheet.

Also, you can buy a hand held steamer to use - MAKE SURE YOU TEST IT OUT FIRST on a piece of fabric (same fabric as your dress - the boutique or seamstress you bought it at should be able to give you a swacth).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter