Not a AHR but want something...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
  • VIP Member
  • 18,452 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

So I can't do a AHR because I'm having a reception at the Palma Real. I won't have money to do a whole big reception home. But I would like to do something. I thought about having everyone over my house to see the wedding video and pictures. We could just have appetizers and finger foods. Is that cheesey? Not even sure how many will fit in my little house. Does anyone have any suggestions or did anyone do something like this?
    ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
    Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
    Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#2 Jones4Me

Jones4Me
    • Banned
    • 381 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:21 PM

Where we are from, some receptions are very low key. (back wood style, I guess!) I have known people to rent a inexpensive local place and do cheap foods. Such as: the VFW or Eagles or Moose clubs. They pay for "open bar" for beer only (cash bar for other drinks) and do stuff like wings and fruit trays and stuff from Sam's club and the like. Including a DJ, I know someone who did this with decorations and such (was the only reception) for around $2500. Could have been less. Maybe you could look for more of a party location and do a "meet the mr. and mrs" party rather than a "reception"?

#3 foxytv

foxytv
      • VIP Member
      • 7,740 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:23 PM

What about something simple like a potluck BBQ at your house or at a family member or BM house? Invite everyone to bring a dish -- or divide up responsibilities on the invites to ask certain people for certain things (side dish for those you know cook, wine/beer/spirits for those who don't cook, etc).

I think that's a perfect way to show the wedding video and pics and make it very non-commital for guests -- especially if you aren't asking for guests ... since they are bringing food it doesn't imply gifts as well.

#4 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
        • VIP Member
        • 18,452 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

I like the "Meet the Mr. and Mrs." idea. That's great!

Potluck is a great idea too, would be so much easier for me. I have a tendency to go way overboard when making food for parties and planning parties. I think the potluck would keep me from going too crazy!
          ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
          Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
          Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#5 foxytv

foxytv
          • VIP Member
          • 7,740 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:34 PM

I think that "Meet the Mr. & Mrs." is a great idea! I may actually steal that phrase for the AHR invites! Couple that with a potluck -- and whammo -- a no-cost, low-cost event with minimal stress and plenty of good times!

#6 Jessica

Jessica
            • VIP Member
            • 11,939 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

I think having people over to your place for a little party would be awesome. I like the potluck idea. I think something low key is better anyway. But I'm not a big party person so I'm biased!

#7 *JillD*

*JillD*
              • 5,112 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

we had thought about doing something like a bbq. We have a small house too, so we were going to do it at my dads. I don't think it has to be anything elaborate.

#8 twinkletoes

twinkletoes
                • 2,302 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

I agree with what everyone said above. I also love the "Meet the Mr. and Mrs." idea! Since our wedding is in August, I'm thinking about doing something small and simple in September, maybe a Labor day bbq/potluck. I defitenly think you could play the wedding dvd at the function and it wouldn't be cheesy at all.

Hmm, I'm thinking would I need to do favors for this? And what would I do?
                  2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

#9 AlmostMrsForbes

AlmostMrsForbes
                  • 238 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

i agree - a bbq would be great. we are getting married in may, and then my parents are having a 4th of july bbq for us. i think it is a really nice way to mingle with people and keep it low key and low cost. if you have a larger extended family, you could ask them to make the food, etc. i have a ton of aunts, and they are doing all the food. with sams club and costco, i think you put on an awesome party for little money!

#10 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 9,504 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

I like the "Meet the Newlyweds" party idea. Though we are having an AHR in Louisville when we return, I think we're going to have a small BBQ with FH's family around Labor Day.

My only concern with pot-luck...and I say this because I am a caterer and chef...you might want to delegate who brings what. For example send x number of invites that say bring dessert, vegetables, etc. I've seen many an event end up with 6 green bean casseroles or 9 chinese cole slaws...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users