Live Band or DJ at Reception?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 edna

edna
  • Site Supporter
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:56 PM

Do you mind sharing who are using/used for your reception, if you can post also what who are you using/used for your ceremony, that will be great!!

#2 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 3,754 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:04 PM

We are getting a 5 peice versitile band from Enlace for 5 hours Enlaceshow Musica en Vivo en Puerto Vallarta y Cancļn

We don't have our music for the ceremony yet. I want a solo acoustic guitar player. Hopefully Priscila can find one for me in PV!

#3 hls140

hls140
      • 102 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

We rented equipment from the Sheraton and used our ipod for the ceremony, then had a friend play Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole's Somewhere Over the Rainbow on his ukulele.

For the reception, we again used our ipod--the rental fee for the equipment we had included a sound person who would run the ipod for us. Worked out perfectly and we had our guests submit requests a few months before we left, so everyone got to hear a song that was special to them. We got a lot of compliments on the mix, and I'm so happy that we went with the ipod!

P.S. my brother-in-law was our MC, which worked out really well too.

#4 1elephant

1elephant
        • VIP Member
        • 15,998 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

we are using dj extassis for the reception...the contact that i have for him is kristin at dazzling details b/c he doesn't speak english (but i think that he has a website...) his prices were extrememly reasonable, but b/c he doesn't speak english, he can't be our mc - which kinda sucks, but whatever....we have a mexican trio during the cocktail hour but i'm going to see if it's possible to have them during the reception as well.

#5 jthrasher

jthrasher
          • Banned
          • 486 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

Being a photographer and having the chance to see things from another perspective I can honestly say that live bands are almost always FAR better than DJ's. More often than not, DJ's can be very cheesy, annoying, and all around bad.

There's just something about live music that adds so much more to the ambiance. I've only experienced one bad live band and it was really bad, but, lots of really bad dj's. I think I'd prefer and iPod over a DJ.

#6 edna

edna
            • Site Supporter
            • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:44 AM

We really want a live band ( probably Enlace) for our reception and a solo guitar for the legal ceremony or maybe just for the cocktail , for Church I don't know yet maybe a duet of cord or wind instruments...

#7 cuata2pink

cuata2pink
              • 54 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:24 AM

I was told about a women who sings soprano in the church where I will have my ceremony but I can't find her number, the secretary from the church office gave me this info, I wanted her to sinf Ave Maria while I walk down to the altar. I aslo wanted to get a trio for after the ceremony and reception since it's only a small group I'm having so no large band

Can anypne recommend a affordable/resonable trio or mariachi that I can contact? thanks!

#8 Leia78

Leia78
                • VIP Member
                • 2,459 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:27 AM

Mexican Trio for ceremony and cocktail hour.

Ipod for reception.

#9 Copita

Copita
                  • 979 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

We'll have the guitar trio for the ceremony and a live band for the reception with a dj playing in between their sets.

#10 Michelle&Steve

Michelle&Steve
                    • 208 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by amyh
                      We are getting a 5 peice versitile band from Enlace for 5 hours Enlaceshow Musica en Vivo en Puerto Vallarta y Cancļn

We don't have our music for the ceremony yet. I want a solo acoustic guitar player. Hopefully Priscila can find one for me in PV!

i def want a live band for my reception maybe with a DJ.. the entertainment is a very impt part to me, makes the wedding fun. How are these guys? and how do they charge?

i think im going to have a solo violinist for the ceremony, and the carribean trio for the cocktail hour
                      "Woohoo!! Time to get married!

www.steveandmich.com

86 booked so far!!!http://tickers.Ticke....9414/event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users