13 replies to this topic

#1 yooyooo

• 21 posts
  • Wedding Date:March 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Barcelo Maya Palace in Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hello all!

These are my inspiration for my cake, except mine will be a single layer. I'm using the color palette from the first picture. I have a topper that says "Love" that will be painted in gold, and I want it to stick out with a full stack(?) of flowers underneath it, like the second picture.

I've been going to Michaels for the last three days to take advantage of their  50% off coupon, and I found this for $9.99 ($5 after coupon!) Do you think it's tacky to use these flowers? Do they look too fake? I know some brides have talked about "silk flowers" and I'm not sure what the difference is between the fake flowers, but I don't think these are silk. Then again, I have a small wedding with mostly family members, so does it even matter? I'm sure no one will even pay attention to the cake. ha!

#2 calgarybride2015

• 4,504 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

I think your cake idea will be gorgeous, not tacky whatsoever. Also the flowers look great and considering it's really for the photos -- no one will remember your cake I think they will work fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by calgarybride2015, 04 August 2015 - 05:20 PM.

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#3 Wafflesmom

• 948 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Moon Palace
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

@yooyoo definitely not tacky at all! I think your cake will look beautiful and no one will care if the flowers are real or fake. The flowers look great in that photo and I'm sure they'll photograph well on your wedding day too
My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...anuary-23-2016/

#4 RitvikSehgal

• 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:32 PM

hi.. i dnt think the idea is tacky and if u talk abt the flowers then they are looking very beautiful and with these flowers the beauty of cake will definitely increase.

#5 yooyooo

• 21 posts
    • Wedding Date:March 23, 2016
    • Wedding Location:Barcelo Maya Palace in Riviera Maya, Mexico
    • LocationWashington DC

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts! I really needed the reassurance..True about nobody remembering the cake. I just want a pretty photo in the end. :D Off to Michaels tomorrow!

#6 MarieSamSanchezPhoto

• Moderators
    • 121 posts
      • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:09 AM

Those flowers look great and I think they will be fine for using on your cake, plus everyone will only be worried about eating the cake hahaahahah -- and what a steal of a deal at Michael's!!! Make sure to share photos of the final product come your wedding day :) 

BLOG: www.mariesamsanchez.com/blog
      CONTACT ME: mariesam.sanchez@gmail.com

#7 RivieraBride15

• 97 posts
      • Wedding Date:October 27, 2015
      • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya, Mexico
      • LocationScranton, PA

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:41 AM

I love the cake - it is far from tacky! Looks beautiful!   I do know where you are coming from when worrying about the looks of flowers when they aren't real.  My bouquet is made of pink "real touch" roses - since I bought it from Etsy all i had to go by was pictures.  Fell in love with it through the pics and even moreso when it arrived in the mail! Happy shopping!

#8 acw271011

• Moderators
      • 3,123 posts
      • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
      • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
      • LocationToronto Area

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:10 AM

The flowers are pretty! And look just fine. The cake should be gorgeous!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

#9 JamaicaNicole

• 91 posts
      • Wedding Date:July 4, 2016
      • Wedding Location:Montego Bay, Jamaica (Secrets)
      • LocationPA

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

I think they are beautiful I always try and remember that the things we fixate as brides people will most likely not even notice. 

#10 dreamweddings

• Insiders w/ Articles
      • 603 posts
        • LocationPlaya Del Carmen

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

@yooyooo there is nothing tacky about weddings,  I love that cake and your vision is going to come out just perfect with those flowers.   Share pictures with us once you get back.

Happy Planning 

Dream Weddings Riviera Maya- We pay attention to your wishes and coordinate closely with you to ensure your wedding or event is planned to perfection! Supporting you brides and help you feel less overwhelmed during the wedding planning process.

Have fun the best is yet to come!

This is where I will be posting all videos about most common question about Destination wedding

:)  https://www.facebook...64036763874450/

Dream Weddings Riviera Maya

Happy Planning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users