cmingalone

Alteration-1/2 Cost Of My Dress!

My dress is top to bottom lace (Jim Hjelm 8011) and I paid about $450 for everything (taking in sides from bust to hips, raising the straps, shortening hemline, adding bustle). Shortening the hem was the most pricey due to the lace. $900 seems very high!!

The cost of alterations was more than half the price of my dress.  It honestly is a bit crazy.  I trusted the seamstress that I went to though, and she did an amazing job.

Mine was Allure 8958 and it was $300 where I bought it in NJ. They quoted this before we began alterations, but to be fair they didn't have to do much.

My alterations are going to be $500 it was a set price that went on top of what my dress cost.  It includes 3 fittings, I didn't know that alterations were going to be that much and wasn't told about the "included" alterations until I was in love with my dress and about to pay.  I really liked the boutique I went to and the level of service so i went with it and if they do have to do a lot of alterations I know that its all covered but if its minmal I'm going to be a little annoyed I paid so much in advance.  By the way I bought my dress in NJ.  Alteration prices are pretty crazy.  $900 does sound nuts though can you take your dress somewhere else?

We'll she is taking up straps, fixing weird point in boob cups, taking down sides from arm pit to knee. I took off bustle, extra petticoat and extra lace and it came down to $391

@@cmingalone that seems very expensive.  My seamstress is charging me 500 but I went with a few of my friends for their fittings and depending on what bustle they chose they were charged bit more.  I live in NYC where everything is overpriced and 900would give me sticker shock.  Are you going to a very high end salon or having a lot of alterations done.  They do charge by the about of work they have to do?  This may be why.

Glad to hear she dropped the price.  Maybe you can find another place to do the bustle if you want one?

This is one of my big concerns.  I went to a few places that won't even do the alterations because the size difference.  I am a size 16 bust and a size 6 or 8 waist and hips.