Jump to content

Photo

Printer suggestions for DIY projects


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • 562 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Secrets St. James, Montego Bay
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hello all!

 

OK so I planned on being sneaky and using the printer at work to print up some inserts that I wanted to add to my invitations on card stock I purchased. It looks like the card stock is too thick for me to use in the work printer and make this a free DIY project. Anyone have suggestions on printers that are good with card stock? If I'm going to buy a printer I might as well use it for other projects, so looking for a decent one that will get me through the rest of my DIY projects, which are still TBD! Any input is appreciated!


Thanks!!

 

*also thank you for not judging me for using company printing resources on personal stuff. lol.



#2 kisha311

kisha311
  • Site Supporter
  • 259 posts

    Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

    I totally understand, I am in the same boat. I have been looking into either a color laserjet printer or an office jet but I haven't decided. I want to get something that is an all in one so that I can really get my money's worth but I am so afraid! A really good printer is going to cost at least $300, I think. Will that be justifiable?


    Beaches Turks & Caicos - 30 Rooms booked with 80 guests confirmed so far!

    #3 alexisinjamaica

    alexisinjamaica

      Moderator

    • Moderators
    • 562 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Secrets St. James, Montego Bay
    • LocationLos Angeles

    Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

    Originally Posted by kisha311 

    I totally understand, I am in the same boat. I have been looking into either a color laserjet printer or an office jet but I haven't decided. I want to get something that is an all in one so that I can really get my money's worth but I am so afraid! A really good printer is going to cost at least $300, I think. Will that be justifiable?


    I guess it depends on how many other things I make. I had my save the dates and invitations printed and sent to me by the companies I ordered them from, so the only thing I've had to print so far are labels and I did use my work printer for that. Shh. I don't feel like I have a ton of other things I want to make, but I suppose it's always good to have a quality printer.


    If any brides out there have used a particular printer for their DIY stuff and have feedback for us we're all ears!



    #4 Tulumbride2013

    Tulumbride2013
    • Member
    • 670 posts

      Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

      I have a Kodak espc310,and it prints card stock, the heavy type I'm using for programs and menus, just fine. It was like 79$ at Walmart. Honestly I'll say that I've had issues with it working wirelessly to print, but over all for card stock purposes it does work great.

      #5 kisha311

      kisha311
      • Site Supporter
      • 259 posts

        Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

        I have been eyeballing the HP OfficejetPro 8600 for a while and it's on sale with Staples for like $139 so I need to go ahead and order it. I'm having buyer's remorse before I even purchase it. Oh brother, I've got issues!


        Beaches Turks & Caicos - 30 Rooms booked with 80 guests confirmed so far!

        #6 pokeyholly

        pokeyholly
        • Jr. Member
        • 176 posts

          Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

          Originally Posted by kisha311 

          I have been eyeballing the HP OfficejetPro 8600 for a while and it's on sale with Staples for like $139 so I need to go ahead and order it. I'm having buyer's remorse before I even purchase it. Oh brother, I've got issues!

          I had purchased an HP Officejet 6700 when I started doing my DIY invites. It was on sale at Staples for $89 (50 % off) but so was the Canon Pixma 892. I couldn't decide and I liked that it says in the HP specs that it prints 105 Cardstock. But I tried printing some and I didn't like how it pulled the cardstock through the printer and bent it all up. So I was looking around this site and I saw a few threads that recommended that Canon Pixma so I exchanged it. And it's works way better for me because you can feed the cardstock through the back of the printer without it getting all bent outta shape. Oh and when I printed on metallic text paper with the HP, the ink was all smeared when the paper came out. I haven't had any troubles printing with the Canon. I hope this post helps. You can check out MissBubbles' Passport invites she did and she used the same printer. They look amazing. Or just search the printer names on here. I hope this helps. :)



          #7 pokeyholly

          pokeyholly
          • Jr. Member
          • 176 posts

            Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

            Originally Posted by alexisinjamaica 


            I guess it depends on how many other things I make. I had my save the dates and invitations printed and sent to me by the companies I ordered them from, so the only thing I've had to print so far are labels and I did use my work printer for that. Shh. I don't feel like I have a ton of other things I want to make, but I suppose it's always good to have a quality printer.


            If any brides out there have used a particular printer for their DIY stuff and have feedback for us we're all ears!

            Sorry I meant to do a multi- quote but I'm new at posting lol. I responded to Kisha if you wanna check it out!!! :)



            #8 kisha311

            kisha311
            • Site Supporter
            • 259 posts

              Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

              Pokeyholly - Thanks so much for the suggestion. I will look at that, I was going with HP because of the name and the ability to get the toner on sale. Glad to hear someone else's experience! I am going to check out the Canon. 


              Beaches Turks & Caicos - 30 Rooms booked with 80 guests confirmed so far!

              #9 alexisinjamaica

              alexisinjamaica

                Moderator

              • Moderators
              • 562 posts
              • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
              • Wedding Location:Secrets St. James, Montego Bay
              • LocationLos Angeles

              Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

              Originally Posted by pokeyholly 

              I had purchased an HP Officejet 6700 when I started doing my DIY invites. It was on sale at Staples for $89 (50 % off) but so was the Canon Pixma 892. I couldn't decide and I liked that it says in the HP specs that it prints 105 Cardstock. But I tried printing some and I didn't like how it pulled the cardstock through the printer and bent it all up. So I was looking around this site and I saw a few threads that recommended that Canon Pixma so I exchanged it. And it's works way better for me because you can feed the cardstock through the back of the printer without it getting all bent outta shape. Oh and when I printed on metallic text paper with the HP, the ink was all smeared when the paper came out. I haven't had any troubles printing with the Canon. I hope this post helps. You can check out MissBubbles' Passport invites she did and she used the same printer. They look amazing. Or just search the printer names on here. I hope this helps. :)


              Super helpful, thanks! And duh, I totally didn't think to search "printer" on the boards. Trying that now!



              #10 MissBubbles205

              MissBubbles205
              • Sr. Member
              • 1,350 posts

                Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

                Hey Ladies, I highly recommend the Canon Pixma MX892.

                Here is my invitations that I designed and then printed with my Canon.

                http://www.bestdesti...ns-sample-print

                 

                Kisha, I know you just bought this printer, but wanted to share with anyone else interested. :o)






                0 user(s) are reading this topic

                0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users