Photo

symbolic wedding ???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ashley2013

Ashley2013
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi I have been searching through all the treads and haven’t been able to come up with in answer to my question.

I would like to know when I should get married in Canada be for my symbolic wedding in Mexico next April 2013

and also if there is anything you need to bring down to Mexico showing that u r in fact married?

#2 janette34

janette34
    • 417 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

You don't need anything to do a symbolic wedding and they don't care whether you are legally married before or not.  I did a symbolic wedding last month and we still haven't done a legal wedding here yet, probably will next month.

#3 dreamweddings

dreamweddings

Insiders

• Insiders w/ Articles
      • 603 posts
        • LocationPlaya Del Carmen

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

Hello Ashley2013,

You can of course create your own symbolic ceremony, creating the vows and the ceremony to fit your unique relationship and commitment. For a symbolic ceremony, any individual may do the honors of performing the ceremony,If you do not have have anyone in mind, I will be happy to assist you in finding someone locally. If you plan to write your own ceremony that will just be with a religious minister or a non denominational minister.

You do not need to bring anything to proof that you are legally married.

Happy planning

Joyce 

Dream Weddings Riviera Maya- We pay attention to your wishes and coordinate closely with you to ensure your wedding or event is planned to perfection! Supporting you brides and help you feel less overwhelmed during the wedding planning process.

Have fun the best is yet to come!

This is where I will be posting all videos about most common question about Destination wedding

:)  https://www.facebook...64036763874450/

Dream Weddings Riviera Maya
        weddingsinplayadelcarmen@gmail.com
        http://www.dreamwedd.../Home_Page.html

Happy Planning!
        Joyce

#4 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
        • 26,161 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

You can do it anytime you want.  We did ours about 2 weeks prior just because it worked out that way, but the symbolic wedding has nothing to do with the legal process so you can do it after as well. 

#5 Ashley1987

Ashley1987
          • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

Im having a symbolic wedding in mexico in Nov , and I was planning on getting legally married in Canada when we get back but I was talking to someone that said its a pain and expensive to get legally married and that she is just assumed her husbands last name and everything has changed to her last name but her SIN card. Im confused with this does it mean she is not married in Canada at all then ? Also if your having a symbolic wedding and then getting legally married here which is your anniversary date ?

#6 janette34

janette34
            • 417 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

I did a symbolic wedding in Mexico and then was legally married about 2 months later in Canada.  The legal wedding was very easy, we applied for a marriage license and then had a justice of the peace do the ceremony.  I think it was about $130 for the marriage license and another $100 for the justice of the peace.  We have choosen to use our Mexico wedding date as our anniversary. 

To apply for the marriage license I went to Access Nova Scotia (dept that issues birth certificates and licenses) we needed photo id and answered a few questions.  It took about a week for the license to be prepared.

When we applied for the marriage license I was asked if I needed the paperwork to change my name, I kept my last name so I'm not sure what kind of a process it is.  I opted to keep my last name since I didn't want to deal with the hassle of getting new credit cards, passport, license, etc.

Originally Posted by Ashley1987 

Im having a symbolic wedding in mexico in Nov , and I was planning on getting legally married in Canada when we get back but I was talking to someone that said its a pain and expensive to get legally married and that she is just assumed her husbands last name and everything has changed to her last name but her SIN card. Im confused with this does it mean she is not married in Canada at all then ? Also if your having a symbolic wedding and then getting legally married here which is your anniversary date ?

#7 CrystalnGreg

CrystalnGreg
              • 16 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Did the resorts that you booking your symbolic wedding with have a separate package for a symbolic wedding?  I'm in touch with the wedding coordinator at the resort we are planning to go to and I said we are planning a symbolic wedding and was wondering if the packages were the same...she sent me themed party packages at really high prices....eeek...little nervous now.

#8 lilpbc

lilpbc
                • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ashley1987 

It's up to you to choose which date to celebrate the anniversary date.

Supplies for Weddings, Parties, and Events: https://www.etsy.com/shop/pbcsupplies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users