Awkward thank you speech

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 all the love

all the love
  • Site Supporter
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

Any suggestions on what to say in a thank you speach to the wedding party when only 2 of the 6 of them actually did anything worth thanking them for?

#2 J and G 2012

J and G 2012
    • 423 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

At first I giggled a bit...Cause we all know where you are coming from!

But I think you should still thank them for being there, standing by your side on your special day. There is a reason you chose them, so just remeber those reasons, and you should be okay!

Good Luck!

#3 JayKay

JayKay
      • 3,472 posts
      • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
      • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
      • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

I too had a little laugh at that!  Its so true.

I would just keep it generic, not mention any names and just say thank you.  They are travelling to be there for your special day, so I guess you have to thank them whether or not you feel they deserve it.

#4 JPenny

JPenny
      • 102 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

I think that fact that your bridal party is coming to a destination wedding is huge and deserves a huge thank you. Honestly, the only thing I expect my bridal party to do is show up and I will be happy. If others offer help or do special things than thats wonderful but I think they all deserver a huge thank you regardless. You chose these people for a reason and they are going to be there for you standing beside you supporting you on your big day, which is what you asked them to do. So thats what I would thank them all for.

#5 boscobel

boscobel
        • VIP Member
        • 24,213 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

I agree with the other posters that I know where you are coming from, but I think you should focus on why you asked them to be in your wedding.  Remember all the things they've done for you in the past and thank them for standing by your side on such an important day.  

Unfortunately, sometimes weddings don't bring out the best in our friends.

#6 elisamarie

elisamarie
          • 222 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

I agree, give a speech thanking them all, if they feel bad because they realize that they haven't done anything to be thanked for, then that 's their problem. Your bases are covered and you showed class by thanking everyone.

Getting married at Playa Pesquero! - 35 booked!!

#7 Jamie5280

Jamie5280
            • 675 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

Agreed!  They are traveling a long ways to be there for you!  But I am sure we can all relate that not everyone pulls their weight when it comes to the wedding.  But I think it still speaks volumes that they are even coming!

I am actually dreading thanking my dad and his heinous wife!  But unfortunately it has to be done!  (but it will be short and sweet)  :)

#8 ShellyCarter

ShellyCarter
              • 217 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

i know where you coming from, i feel the same way. 

but just thank them for being there, no don't need to go in detail or anything.

Married! xo

#9 Jber713

Jber713
                • 179 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

That's why I have chosen not to have people stand up in my wedding. I didn't want anyone to feel like they had to do things. My girlfriends who are able to make it to my wedding is more than I can ask for in this economy. Just a thought.

Jen

#10 lucy<3woody

lucy<3woody
                  • 166 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

Sounds like there are some bigger issues here all the love. But you should thank them all, because they are spending the  time and money to stand up with you. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users