Photo

I'm a Mrs.! Changing your name....simplified.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 JQLong

JQLong
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

The name change thing can be even more tedious when it comes to changing professional licenses along with all the other pertinent info.  Initially I was going to keep my last name as a tribute to my grandmother...(she still had her maiden name)...but then I thought better of it.  My new last name will be Long (no pun intended).  My fiance and I have the same first initial to a unique name like mine....and most importantly...it took me all this time to find my love....I would be crazy not to let the world know I am his!

So Amazing......July 4, 2012!!!!!!

#12 greysgirl

greysgirl
    • 370 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for posting these links!! We just got our license from Maui yesterday, nearly 2 months after we were married, so getting all of this done tomorrow is on my agenda.  Ugh.

Originally Posted by skybride 

I didn't find changing my name too hard.  Just look here: http://www.socialsec...s/10127.html#3 fill out the form, and make an appointment at your local office.  They'll send you a new card in a few days.  Once you get your new card, you can apply for a new driver's license (each state's forms are different, so look on the DMV website) and a new passport: http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html (no fee for the new passport).

Each credit card and bank thing is different, but you usually just need to send in a copy of the marriage certificate and they'll change it.  So, if you scan it once, you can send it to all your companies with no hassle.

The only place I went in person was the Social Security office...I even got my driver's license sent to me after filling out forms electronically.

Good luck!

#13 meeshie77

meeshie77
      • 208 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

I like this ;)  My feelings exactly about changing my name ;)  And no judgements on anyone else's personal choice to change or not change.  For professional only, I will keep my maiden name (so people can find me), otherwise I totally new :)

Originally Posted by JQLong 

The name change thing can be even more tedious when it comes to changing professional licenses along with all the other pertinent info.  Initially I was going to keep my last name as a tribute to my grandmother...(she still had her maiden name)...but then I thought better of it.  My new last name will be Long (no pun intended).  My fiance and I have the same first initial to a unique name like mine....and most importantly...it took me all this time to find my love....I would be crazy not to let the world know I am his!

#14 beachbum21

beachbum21
        • 438 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

I'm torn, I think for work it will be easier to keep my maiden name... And I'm scared of all the calls I'll have to make and paperwork I'll have to submit!! However I do like the unity in sharing a name... The struggle continues!

#15 meeshie77

meeshie77
          • 208 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

I hope someone tries out the website and gives some feedback if it's helpful.  I'm soooo curious it if actually simplifies the process.... :)

Originally Posted by beachbum21 

I'm torn, I think for work it will be easier to keep my maiden name... And I'm scared of all the calls I'll have to make and paperwork I'll have to submit!! However I do like the unity in sharing a name... The struggle continues!

#16 JustNoelle

JustNoelle
            • 271 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

I too would love to hear some reviews about this website. Seems like a good idea!! 

I hope someone tries out the website and gives some feedback if it's helpful.  I'm soooo curious it if actually simplifies the process.... :)

#17 AllieH

AllieH
              • Resort/Area Ambassadors
              • 2,014 posts
              • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
              • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
              • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

here's another service that helps with the name change - I found a group on for it and got it for $10. I'll try it out after we get married in November. it's gotten a lot of good reviews. 

https://www.missnowmrs.com/

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#18 JustNoelle

JustNoelle
              • 271 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Great!! I love groupon!! And it seems a bit simpler to use. I'm going to take a look at all the reviews. Thank you for posting!

Originally Posted by AllieH 

here's another service that helps with the name change - I found a group on for it and got it for $10. I'll try it out after we get married in November. it's gotten a lot of good reviews. 

#19 katman

katman
                • 170 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by AllieH 

Nice find Allie!!  Can't wait to hear if it's any good. But hey, for 10$, you lucked out - can't go wrong!!

#20 meeshie77

meeshie77
                  • 208 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

I just got back from my wedding and decided to use this service (imamrs.com).  I paid $49.95 for the platinum package.  It seems that the site is still in the early stages of development and doesn't have everything it says but overall, it did create a nice list of places to change my name which was helpful.  If I were to do this again, I would simply pay for the $29.95 package and go through your wallet for the rest.  The one good thing I would have never thought to change without this site is my Elections Canada card.  But now that I posted this, you will know to do that.  LOL.  Good luck for those of you who choose to go this route.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users