Jump to content

Photo

I'm a Mrs.! Changing your name....simplified.


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 meeshie77

meeshie77
  • Jr. Member
  • 208 posts

    Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

    Hi ladies.

     

    I know that changing your name or not is a very personal decision.  I've had a few of my friends opt not to change their name simply because it's so much work.  I recently stumbled on a website called "I'm a Mrs." based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada that allows you to change your name with either a few major companies (government, bank, etc) or for an upgrade in package with anyone and everyone you can imagine.  It looks like a super great idea and for the thrifty price of $49.95 (for the premium package), it seems like a smashing idea.  I'm thinking of using this service and also gifting it to a friend for her wedding shower.  Has anyone used this service or had any experience with someone you know who has done this?

     

    Here's the website if you want to check it out.  If you're from the U.S. you may have to choose the American site.  Feedback anyone?

     

    http://www.imamrs.com/Default.aspx



    #2 JayKay

    JayKay
    • Sr. Member
    • 3,472 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
    • LocationSouthern Alberta

    Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:01 AM


    I think that looks like it would be so helpful!!!  I would also love to hear some reviews or people who have used it!
     

    Originally Posted by meeshie77 

    Hi ladies.

     

    I know that changing your name or not is a very personal decision.  I've had a few of my friends opt not to change their name simply because it's so much work.  I recently stumbled on a website called "I'm a Mrs." based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada that allows you to change your name with either a few major companies (government, bank, etc) or for an upgrade in package with anyone and everyone you can imagine.  It looks like a super great idea and for the thrifty price of $49.95 (for the premium package), it seems like a smashing idea.  I'm thinking of using this service and also gifting it to a friend for her wedding shower.  Has anyone used this service or had any experience with someone you know who has done this?

     

    Here's the website if you want to check it out.  If you're from the U.S. you may have to choose the American site.  Feedback anyone?

     

    http://www.imamrs.com/Default.aspx



     



    #3 harkatea

    harkatea
    • Jr. Member
    • 161 posts

      Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

      I was looking at those websites for a while.  To be perfectly honest, I'm really not sure if it's worth it just to get the government forms that are available for free.  Around here they have websites that outline exactly what forms you need to change names with different companies.  But right now I am in California and they passed a law in the past year that makes name change really easy.  But perhaps I am just the thrifty bride that would rather spend all day in downtown LA than to spend $30 on the package (which I think you have to go to the government buildings to make it legal for social security anyway).



      #4 meeshie77

      meeshie77
      • Jr. Member
      • 208 posts

        Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

        Same here!  I might have to be the first to review :)
         

        Originally Posted by JayKay 


        I think that looks like it would be so helpful!!!  I would also love to hear some reviews or people who have used it!
         



         



         



        #5 torilynnsmith

        torilynnsmith
        • Sr. Member
        • 1,748 posts

          Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

          Maybe I am totally out of the loop but I didn't realize it was so difficult to change your name!



          #6 JayKay

          JayKay
          • Sr. Member
          • 3,472 posts
          • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
          • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
          • LocationSouthern Alberta

          Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:24 PM


          I don't think its difficult, I think rather time consuming and tedious especially having to go to so many different places!
           

          Originally Posted by torilynnsmith 

          Maybe I am totally out of the loop but I didn't realize it was so difficult to change your name!



           



          #7 skybride

          skybride
          • Newbie
          • 21 posts

            Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

            I didn't find changing my name too hard.  Just look here: http://www.socialsec...s/10127.html#3 fill out the form, and make an appointment at your local office.  They'll send you a new card in a few days.  Once you get your new card, you can apply for a new driver's license (each state's forms are different, so look on the DMV website) and a new passport: http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html (no fee for the new passport).

             

            Each credit card and bank thing is different, but you usually just need to send in a copy of the marriage certificate and they'll change it.  So, if you scan it once, you can send it to all your companies with no hassle.

             

            The only place I went in person was the Social Security office...I even got my driver's license sent to me after filling out forms electronically.

             

            Good luck!



            #8 torilynnsmith

            torilynnsmith
            • Sr. Member
            • 1,748 posts

              Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

              Thanks for the advice!



              #9 meeshie77

              meeshie77
              • Jr. Member
              • 208 posts

                Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

                I would agree with JayKay...not difficult at all, just tedious.  I open my wallet and it's full of rewards cards.  I know I have a whole lot of utility companies, and medical places that I would have to change my name at.  A website like that makes it look attractive to use because it says that it has all the forms to change your name with those companies too.  The government forms are easy enough to do, but with the other things, it just got me thinking.  Until I hear a review, I might choose the thrifty and tedious way, but they sure make it look money spending worthy :)



                #10 STAC8228

                STAC8228
                • Jr. Member
                • 155 posts

                  Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

                  sound like a great idea, i didnt even think of reward card & website, another list to make, is name changes!!






                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users