Photo

Getting stuff through customs...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jenn

Jenn
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:26 PM

I know this has been talked about extensively in the Mexico forums, but does anyone know what the customs procedures are when you fly into Jamaica? We're bringing a lot of stuff for OOT bags, decorations, etc, and don't know what to expect. Should we pack everything together and label it "for a wedding"? Should we divide it up among our bags?

In Mexico, you push a little button that turns red or green, determining if you get searched. Anyone know what happens when you fly into Montego Bay?

#2 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:37 PM

When we flew into Montego Bay we got off the plane, went inside and were given forms to fill out saying what we have, where we've been, etc. Then we got in line with our passports & the forms, someone looked it over and let us go. I still had leftover gifts/OOT bag stuff because we came from the wedding in Mexico but there were no problems and if they looked through our bags it wasn't in front of us. The only people I saw get detained were people who had recently traveled to the Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc. because of the health risks.

On the way back I had a problem with a British agent at the airport but it had nothing to do with my luggage, he wanted to know about me....if it weren't for my hubby calming me down I wouldn't have made it on the plane!

#3 chicago88

chicago88
      • 699 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

Did any of you ROR brides end up shipping wedding supplies to the resort?

Therese & Jay
        Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica2.15.08
        http://tickers.Ticke....1f03/event.png

#4 Spazz

Spazz
        • VIP Member
        • 10,482 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by chicago88
          Did any of you ROR brides end up shipping wedding supplies to the resort?
          I am pretty sure that Chandlyn said she will not accept anything that is shipped there. So, I'm planning to bring everything down with me!

#5 Jerzzygirl

Jerzzygirl
          • 203 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

We are going to split everything up between 4 suitcases. I just hope it all fits in, since spirit now charges for EACH checked bag.

#6 boscobel

boscobel
            • VIP Member
            • 24,213 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:55 AM

I know I was also told at Beaches that I couldn't ship anything there either. I hadn't thought this far ahead yet, but I guess its good to know what you all think for when the time comes!

HOLY CRAP, Jerzzygirl! I just saw that your wedding is in 7 days!!!! Do you feel prepared? I am so excited for you.

#7 Cherie

Cherie
              • 83 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by MoBride
                I remember a ROR bride on Trip Advisor saying that she claimed to have $100.00 worth of wedding supplies when it was really worth more than that and she got through. I just wonder if it's better to claim this stuff on the form but for a lower value than what it's really worth or just not claim anything on the form.
                I agree with what Mo wrote.
                That's what I would do. How do they know the value of your wedding supplies? I don't think they would hold you back because they don't believe you! I think customs are more concerned about larger items than what you have!!

#8 Jenn

Jenn
                • 1,557 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Jerzzygirl
                  We are going to split everything up between 4 suitcases. I just hope it all fits in, since spirit now charges for EACH checked bag.
                  Looks like you'll be the next person to deal with this, so you'll have to let us know if you have any problems (hopefully not!). I plan on splitting everything up and praying we get through.

Are you ready Jerzzygirl? I can't believe how close your wedding is!

#9 Jerzzygirl

Jerzzygirl
                  • 203 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

No Not really ready...lol I PLANNED on being packed by now but 1 thing after another and I havent started yet but thats what tomorrows for. I am not leaving my house until I am all packed...lol

#10 chicago88

chicago88
                    • 699 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Lizz
                      I am pretty sure that Chandlyn said she will not accept anything that is shipped there. So, I'm planning to bring everything down with me!
                      Chandlyn told me I could ship her supplies before hand? I was thinking about getting travel mugs so I really don't know how I would fit close to 50 in my bags?? I wish this was easier!!

Therese & Jay
                      Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica2.15.08
                      http://tickers.Ticke....1f03/event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users