Jump to content

Photo

let the decorating begin!


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
  • VIP Member
  • 4,791 posts

    Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

    I love the color for the powder bath.

    We moved into our home about 8 months ago and still haven't finished the bedroom or office - we're definitely looking for color selections too! I totally wanna send in one of the rooms to a show like Divine Designs or something like that. How cool would that be?! We have this fantastic house but I cannot visualize spacial aspects well. Our wall colors right now are all "Cafe Ole" - a light, neutral coffee color. In our LR we went bold with a bright luxuriously red chaise lounge, dark deep blue couches, red and cream accent pillows and a red, cream and black funky rug. Most of our art is on the bold side with bright bold primary colors so we tried to design around that...

    As for the bedroom, I have NO clue what to do there. I really want to make it warm, inviting and sensual. Unfortunately tho we've just about reached our redecorating budget for now. Moving from a 700 sq. ft apt. to a 2,200 sq. ft. home is proving to be quite a challenge. We also have very high walls/ceilings and big open spaces (very contemporary new construction). So everything seems dwarfed. For example, we have a 50" Plasma in our living room that we thought would be HUGE but honestly it is not too impressive - I actually think we could have gone with the 70" and it would have really fit the space. Crazy huh

    ~ Jaime & Martin ~
    "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

    We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

    We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!


    #12 Janet

    Janet
    • VIP Member
    • 7,459 posts

      Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

      Paula - great sites! Here is one you might like: Design*Sponge

      #13 PaulaV

      PaulaV
      • VIP Member
      • 2,813 posts

        Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:40 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by JaimeLynne
        I love the color for the powder bath.

        We moved into our home about 8 months ago and still haven't finished the bedroom or office - we're definitely looking for color selections too! I totally wanna send in one of the rooms to a show like Divine Designs or something like that. How cool would that be?! We have this fantastic house but I cannot visualize spacial aspects well. Our wall colors right now are all "Cafe Ole" - a light, neutral coffee color. In our LR we went bold with a bright luxuriously red chaise lounge, dark deep blue couches, red and cream accent pillows and a red, cream and black funky rug. Most of our art is on the bold side with bright bold primary colors so we tried to design around that...

        As for the bedroom, I have NO clue what to do there. I really want to make it warm, inviting and sensual. Unfortunately tho we've just about reached our redecorating budget for now. Moving from a 700 sq. ft apt. to a 2,200 sq. ft. home is proving to be quite a challenge. We also have very high walls/ceilings and big open spaces (very contemporary new construction). So everything seems dwarfed. For example, we have a 50" Plasma in our living room that we thought would be HUGE but honestly it is not too impressive - I actually think we could have gone with the 70" and it would have really fit the space. Crazy huh
        I'm with you Jamie! Very similar situation for us.
        We moved the big screen into the media room and once it was in I said,
        "This tv is too small for this room".
        My FI loved me for that.

        I had my heart set on a conteporary style sofa from Crate and Barrel, but it was way too expensive. We ended up buying a sofa and loveseat that was nicer and less expensive from Sofa Express. They also gave us 3 free tables that are in the basement now with our old living ropm set.

        #14 Christine

        Christine
        • VIP Member
        • 21,514 posts
        • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
        • Wedding Location:Napa, California
        • LocationReno, NV

        Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

        Janet, those colors are great, I think the red accents will be easy, but don't try to paint any walls red (well only one accent wall if you have to) its so hard to paint red evenly. I tried it once and it was a huge pain.

        Ikea is great, I like the one in Woodbridge better than College Park, they have more in stock since its not as busy and of course they don't cater mostly to college students.
        When my mom moved into her house recently she actually found a lot of great furniture at Costco. When we moved here we sold almost everything and had to start all over again and I found a lot of decor at home goods and marshalls, good deals.
        Oh and the Pentagon City Macy's has a huge selection of that martha stewart stuff, its all so great, too bad I already got a bunch of "home" stuff before I saw that stuff from my registry.
        let me know if you ever need a shopping buddy!
        Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

        #15 PaulaV

        PaulaV
        • VIP Member
        • 2,813 posts

          Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by JANET1111
          Paula - great sites! Here is one you might like: Design*Sponge
          Paula like! Thank you Janet!

          #16 Lizzy

          Lizzy
          • Member
          • 501 posts

            Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

            Janet, HGTV.com has some great ideas for decorating rooms. Another place I found is Benjamin Moore.com You can pick out a rrom that is similar to the style of yours, then pick out the colors for accents, walls, ceiling and trim. If you haven't tried it, it is really kind of fun!
            The colors you have chosen are lovely. Have fun dreaming of your new rooms!
            For the dance, at the reception, Maggie wore her crinoline and a lovely lace top. Looks like Tadd likes it!

            Professional Photography by Michael B.www.michaelbstudio.comMinneapolis, MN

            #17 Jackie

            Jackie
            • Sr. Member
            • 2,290 posts

              Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

              I love the colors Janet. We just bought our house too and I bought so much stuff before we actually choose the house we are in, so I stuck with a nuetral pallate of Beige and Black. My house is so BLAH right now its definitly important to have a great accent color. I love love love the colors you picked :)
              My Dreams Cabo Wedding Review
              http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t22576

              #18 Janet

              Janet
              • VIP Member
              • 7,459 posts

                Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:18 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Christine
                Janet, those colors are great, I think the red accents will be easy, but don't try to paint any walls red (well only one accent wall if you have to) its so hard to paint red evenly. I tried it once and it was a huge pain.

                Ikea is great, I like the one in Woodbridge better than College Park, they have more in stock since its not as busy and of course they don't cater mostly to college students.
                When my mom moved into her house recently she actually found a lot of great furniture at Costco. When we moved here we sold almost everything and had to start all over again and I found a lot of decor at home goods and marshalls, good deals.
                Oh and the Pentagon City Macy's has a huge selection of that martha stewart stuff, its all so great, too bad I already got a bunch of "home" stuff before I saw that stuff from my registry.
                let me know if you ever need a shopping buddy!
                All of you are so helpful, and it's so great to have local advice too Christine. I never thought about the IKEA location thing but that totally makes sense. And my office is across the street from the downtown Macy's -- I might go nuts on my lunch hour!! And I've already looked at Costco, I'm pretty sure we will get a flat screen TV from there. (I am costco obsessed, I can't hide it!)

                (Oh, and I won't paint anything red - been there, done that :) )

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Lizzy
                Janet, HGTV.com has some great ideas for decorating rooms. Another place I found is Benjamin Moore.com You can pick out a rrom that is similar to the style of yours, then pick out the colors for accents, walls, ceiling and trim. If you haven't tried it, it is really kind of fun!
                The colors you have chosen are lovely. Have fun dreaming of your new rooms!
                Great tip on the benjamin moore thing. I want to go pick out paint chips soon, since that is the FUN part!

                We have the home inspection on Weds, I will take pics and measurements then.

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Ryjaxs19
                I love the colors Janet. We just bought our house too and I bought so much stuff before we actually choose the house we are in, so I stuck with a nuetral pallate of Beige and Black. My house is so BLAH right now its definitly important to have a great accent color. I love love love the colors you picked :)
                We have been living with the ugliest used furniture for years because I refused to buy anything before we knew where we would live. Luckily, it seems like some paint and accessories can make a huge different in your house? At least you started with neutrals!

                Also, I haven't let us start using our nice wedding gifts yet because I wanted new stuff in a new house! (Hubby thinks I am INSANE) But it is going to be so great to have new dishes and sheets and everything in just a few weeks. They've been sitting in my MIL's attic since our wedding!

                #19 Nrvsbride

                Nrvsbride
                • Sr. Member
                • 5,248 posts

                  Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

                  Janet I am so like you! I would not want to use new wedding gifts until I was settled in a new house either. LOL. I don't think guys understand that but I totally understand!

                  #20 BEACHBRIDEMA

                  BEACHBRIDEMA
                  • Sr. Member
                  • 3,491 posts

                    Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:14 PM

                    Great colours Janet
                    Sarah
                    <a href="http://s162.photobuc...entation2-2.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i162.photobuc...entation2-2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>Wedding slideshow: http://www.juancarlo...com/sarah18/...




                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users