Sign in to follow this  
AfricanVenus

Style Me Pretty Backlash

I know this blog is like the Mecca of wedding planning, but I only glance once in awhile. I never drew much from it and kept that to myself. Frankly, if I never see another jar of jam and antique whatcha-ma-call-its in the middle of a meadow, I'll be fine. Plus, they rarely look like weddings to me anymore and feel a little "Children's Place" in their vibe.

However, as I googled for "How SMP chooses weddings?", I came across some backlash to the blog that intrigued me. Many brides are complaining that while lovely, the featured weddings are unrealistic and put way too much pressure on B2Bs.

Not all of us are DIY-ers or have to time make a photo-perfect wedding. Some brides are getting married in halls where decorating a place is a minimal effort on their part. ::in my best Carrie Bradshaw impersonation:: "I couldn't help but wonder... are any other brides tired of this trend and what are your thoughts on it?"

It is funny that I just ran across your post... I banned myself from looking at most of the sites like SMP. There are a ton of weddings that are just photo shoots on blogs and completely nonsensical to pull off for a real wedding. And I am soooooo tired of the vintage antique wedding... maybe because that's not my style? I am bold and bright and a little nutty and seriously who rides a vintage bike... all of you SMP viewers know what I'm talking about!

I started my little Etsy shop because I needed an outlet after months of planning and I truly enjoy making stuff that makes people happy.  I went to the social media to seek inspiration and instantly started gushing over these wedding blogs. Started thinking that my shop didn't fit into what they claimed was the "in" thing and completely stopped being productive. Then I got to the point where I was being down on myself because my wedding didn't look like something they featured. It was the happiest day of my life and most of our friends are still talking about it, so why was I depressed?! So I took a step back, stopped the blog oogling and got back to real life.

My Persimmon and Lime wedding where we jumped into the pool at the end of the night will never be featured on SMP... but the pictures, favours and amazeballs memories are featured all over our house, our parents' houses and even snippets at our friends houses. And my hubby still talks about Puerto Vallarta to anyone that will listen, and I smile when one of our guy (yes guy) friends pulls out and uses the chapstick from our OOT bags, and it made me all warm inside when my girlfriend wore her pashmina from the wedding to dinner last week. So are you/did you have a wedding that made you and your partner happy? Then honestly that is all that matters in the end :)

UGH! I couldn't agree more ladies. I thought it was just me. And I would browse SMP and other sites and constantly think 'Who are they gearing these posts to?' At the end of the day, as long as we stay true to ourselves then we'll have an amazing affair.

I also find the same about some of the wedding magazines.  I bought a few and realized that half the stuff in there is unrealistic and most of all the weddings featured, are never going to be like my wedding, if they are even real weddings to begin with!

I am so glad to see this because I thought I was the only one ever who hates these sites!!! STP actually has a destination wedding page but honestly I've looked at these sites, plus Once Wed, and Destination inspirations and all I take away from it is that 1) these are almost always styled photo shoots, not real weddings 2) they all look the same 3) the brides almost ALWAYS have runway type body shapes that makes me feel like crap about mine. I stopped looking at these sites because it was really skewering what I thought a bride should look like and also I didn't like that it seemed like a big catalogue of goods to purchase. I never did but wedding magazines so I guess I am pretty biased.