• 1,917 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

Oops...

http://www.bestdesti...e-mocha-makes-3

#13 skp1

skp1
      • 405 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

It's definitely worth it!  I did my STDs and soon will be doing the invites (along with a bunch of other projects).  I had the same experience as other brides are saying - just couldn't find exactly what I was looking for and had about 40 to make so it was doable.  I did my STDs in Word with no issues.  I've also used Publisher for other projects like welcome brochure and luggage tags.  I wish I had photoshop but its not worth buying just for the wedding.  there are some limitations with positioning text (like i have not been able to around an object - only straight - if anyone knows how to do this in Word, Publisher or PowerPoint, let me know) or the resolution of pictures.  The designing part is fun, but the cutting and pasting part is a pain in the butt.  But I'm so happy I did it.

Steph & John........Atlantis.......June 18, 2011......happily married

#14 mochamakes3

mochamakes3
        • 1,917 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:39 AM

skp1 - Not sure what you mean about positioning, but I did find that changing print quality had a huge effect on picture resolution.

#15 autjo

autjo
          • 2,182 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

I had a lot of fun making my invites. It certainly isn't for everyone, but if you are creative and patient, then go for it! Here is a link to my thread with pics and templates.

http://www.bestdesti...utumn-s-invites

I do a lot of design in PowerPoint and Publisher. It is easy to move stuff around and get the text positioned just like you want, without having to use PhotoShop.

skp1 - depending on the version of PowerPoint you have, you need to use a version of Word Art to make the text circle, slant, etc.

As for paper I order everything from paperandmore.com. I love their quality, price and customer service. I would definitely order samples so you can get a feel for the weight, texture, etc.

And to print, pay a professional! The quality that you get from a print shop (yes, even Kinkos/Staples/etc.) is what makes the invites look professional. Just make sure to factor that cost into your budget.

Can't wait to see you all of you girls come up with! Happy creating (;

#16 skp1

skp1
            • 405 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

autojo - thanks for the tip - I'll have to look into Word Art some more - I have Office 2010 so I should have the latest technology - I just need to find it.

I placed my first order from Paperandmore which should arrive tomorrow - can't wait to see it. 

Steph & John........Atlantis.......June 18, 2011......happily married

#17 mishi071411

mishi071411
              • 52 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

I made 120 passport invites. I learned so much while I was making them! If you have any questions I'll gladly share! I would suggest to do them yourself- it'll be fun!

#18 Mel2010

Mel2010
                • 219 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hey Mochamakes3, I love your passport mock up. It's awesome!! I can't believe you did that. Now i'm inspired to give it a try.

Oops...

http://www.bestdesti...e-mocha-makes-3

#19 mochamakes3

mochamakes3
                  • 1,917 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:33 AM

Just be prepared for the amount of work. I was away from home for work and stuck in a hotel by myself so it wasn't so bad finding the many hours to cut, trim, assemble, etc. Definitely not for someone with a busy or hectic schedule.

#20 beachbum21

beachbum21
                    • 438 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hi! I checked Michaels for invitation kits and didn't see any boarding pass or passport ones, do they exist anywhere? I would really like to make my own and need some good templates I think.

Originally Posted by JenFL 

I have seen the kits in Michaels, which are not bad but not exactly what I was looking for (colors, etc.). I've been looking online for vendors with fun papers in a heavier stock. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the tropical leaf I want for a recurring them to fit in - searching for a clip art image of it or seeing if I have a friend that can design one. I'm going to also start playing around with word, and the other programs to get some ideas printed out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users