Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Avens

January 2012 Brides!

Recommended Posts

So I'm not from Alberta, I'm from Manitoba but all I did was contact Vital Statistics for my province and they emailed me an election of surname form.  It says on that form that after marriage you have the following options in choosing your surname:

1) You may retain your present surname;

2) You may assume your spouse's or partner's name;

3) You may choose to combine your present surname with your spouse's or partner's surname, with or without a hyphen (in any order); or,

4) You may choose to assume your spouse's or partner's surname, and retain your present surname as a given middle name

 

I assume these options would be very similar for Alberta.  Maybe give vital stats a call and they can send you their form.  It only took me like five minutes to get through and have the form emailed to me.

 

Hope that helps!

 

Originally Posted by Avens View Post

Hey Ladies,

 

I know a couple of you are from Alberta - and I'm wondering if you are changing your name - what what steps you have to start with to do it?

 

In general - are any of you changing your name?  Initially I wasn't, and hubby was cool.  Now that we're "officially" married, I get the feeling he really wants me to.  I like his last name, and it wasn't ever out of the question, moreso for convenience that I wouldn't change it, and I really like my name.  It reflects my heritage, and I just like it. :)

 

For professional purposes, I would like to stay Jaimee "Smith", but legally be Jaimee "Jones".  Has anyone ever thought of making their maiden name a middle name? 

 

So my new name would be Jaimee Anne Smith Jones. For all intents and purposes I would be Jaimee Jones legally, but then Smith is still a part of my name.  (PS. I made up middle and last names)

 

What are your thoughts January ladies? What are you doing?



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure we don't have anything like Vital Statistics here in Alberta.

 

Originally Posted by ashley490 View Post

So I'm not from Alberta, I'm from Manitoba but all I did was contact Vital Statistics for my province and they emailed me an election of surname form.  It says on that form that after marriage you have the following options in choosing your surname:

1) You may retain your present surname;

2) You may assume your spouse's or partner's name;

3) You may choose to combine your present surname with your spouse's or partner's surname, with or without a hyphen (in any order); or,

4) You may choose to assume your spouse's or partner's surname, and retain your present surname as a given middle name

 

I assume these options would be very similar for Alberta.  Maybe give vital stats a call and they can send you their form.  It only took me like five minutes to get through and have the form emailed to me.

 

Hope that helps!

 



 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually there is a Vital Statistics in Alberta.  I emailed them this morning :)

 

Now we have been residents of Alberta since October, but we were legally married in Manitoba.  I wonder if that affects things.  I'll see what they say!

 

Thanks Ashley!
 

Originally Posted by JayKay View Post

I'm pretty sure we don't have anything like Vital Statistics here in Alberta.

 



 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is?!  How come I didn't know about this.  If you find any info can you let me know!

 

Originally Posted by Avens View Post

Actually there is a Vital Statistics in Alberta.  I emailed them this morning :)

 

Now we have been residents of Alberta since October, but we were legally married in Manitoba.  I wonder if that affects things.  I'll see what they say!

 

Thanks Ashley!
 



 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Hey Alberta Ladies!  Here you go! My original email is below - which is why it says "Manitoba" marriage certificate.  I'm sure you just bring your Alberta one.  
 
vs@gov.ab.ca
9:08 AM (9 hours ago)
cleardot.gif
 
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
Thank you for your inquiry. To assume the last name of your spouse, you will need
to order a government-issued marriage certificate. 

Information on Vital Statistic offices in other
provinces in Canada is available on our website at: 
www.servicealberta.ca/765.cfm By assuming your spouseâ€s last name, you are not
officially changing your maiden last name.  Your birth
registration will still show your maiden surname. 

If you have an Alberta driver's licence or identification
card you can add your husband's surname with or
without a hyphen.

You can apply for a change of name by appearing
in person at a registry office.  To process the change,
you will need to surrender your current driver's
licence and provide an additional piece of acceptable
identification as well as the Manitoba marriage
certificate.

The registry agent will issue you with a temporary
driver's licence which cannot be used as identification.

The new driver's licence with your updated information
should come to you in the mail in about 5 to 10 business
days. There is a fee for having your driver's licence
information updated. 

Service Providers
Service Alberta, Registries no longer provides direct
customer service for motor vehicle services. The provincial
government privatized this process and a network of private
Registry Agents was established as authorized service
providers.  Registry Agents are authorized to charge a
service fee.  The list of Registry Agents is available on our website
at:
www.servicealberta.ca/617.cfm If you have any further questions please contact:
Ministry of Service Alberta
Vital Statistics
Box 2023
Edmonton AB T5J 4W7
Phone:  780-427-7013
For toll-free access within Alberta first dial 310-0000
Email:  vs@gov.ab.ca Visit our website at www.servicealberta.ca for comprehensive
registries and consumer information and services
  ----- Original Message -----
From: Jaimee D <>
To: <vs@gov.ab.ca>
Sent: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 11:28:38 -0700
Subject: Marriage Name Change Question [interactionID:6e9b89af-08f6-47f1-9f44-4fbe3e290fdb]
 

Hello,

Thank you for your time! I just had a quick question about marriage name change. 

We were married (legally) in Manitoba on January 12, 2011.  However it was a secret, as our "wedding" was January 12, 2012 in Mexico.  In October 2011 we moved to Alberta, so we are now residents here.

I am interested in assuming my husbands name, but also keeping mine.  I am wondering if this is an option.  I don't want to hyphenate it just add his name on to the end.

Jaimee Middlename Maiden Husbandname

Is that an option, or do I have to hyphenate it?  The fact that we were married in Manitoba, does that affect this at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ladies!

We got back on Friday and had the time of our lives. Everything went so smoothly it was such a perfect day!

Here's a link to my photobucket page with most of our professional pics (there's about 150 of them so its fairly long): http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h398/katherinecolin2012/Wedding%20Day/?albumview=slideshow

 

Congrats to all the new wifeys on here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your pictures are great!  Congrats!

 

Originally Posted by mllek1986 View Post

Hi ladies!

We got back on Friday and had the time of our lives. Everything went so smoothly it was such a perfect day!

Here's a link to my photobucket page with most of our professional pics (there's about 150 of them so its fairly long): http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h398/katherinecolin2012/Wedding%20Day/?albumview=slideshow

 

Congrats to all the new wifeys on here!



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else experiencing the post wedding hangover yet???  I'm trying to figure out what to do with all this "spare" time I have now that I'm not planning or looking at wedding blogs or this website.  I think I'm going to have to rediscover my hobbies or find a new one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can completely relate. I still go on here for some "fun"....lol. I need to start posting some items for sale. I still catch myself seeing lots of Oot bag items when out shopping.
 

Originally Posted by muzikgrrl View Post

Anyone else experiencing the post wedding hangover yet???  I'm trying to figure out what to do with all this "spare" time I have now that I'm not planning or looking at wedding blogs or this website.  I think I'm going to have to rediscover my hobbies or find a new one. 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear ya, ladies! Who knew that wedding planning was so all-consuming! I have started training for a half-marathon in May. It has been good to have some other goal in mind and something to look forward to - or maybe I am just crazy! This run could be the death of me... lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Are you looking for a guide where you’ll find many tips and steps to follow to make your wedding a success? We design a special for you, where you will find: Photography Tips To-Do List Check list How to choose the best dress? Memories and invitations And much more! Download it now for free from: http://emweddings.com/WeddingGuide/index.html     Don’t stress. Enjoy every moment, tomorrow will be your best memories. See you soon!
    • Another option is to find an app that allows for group talk. This Wedding Party App looks pretty neat. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-party-app/ 
    • Hi Everyone, So, I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I never sold off my extra wedding OOT bag stuff from our wonderful DW.   46 Daily Spanish for Dummies 30 Pool colored OOT fabric bags - approximately 13in x 13in. They lay flat.  I used them for our wedding and they were perfect for everything we needed to fit in each bag. There’s a slight shade variation in the group; I’m guessing some were cut from a different bolt of fabric.  They are also a little wrinkled from storage and will probably be wrinkled from shipping. I have three additional ones, but they somehow got something on them (likely toddler related). If needed, I can try to wash it out and send those as well. 
    • I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.
    • So we are currently looking for an all inclusive resort for the wedding. We have 60 guests and found all the Dreams resorts as options and all of them gave us a quote and discounted price since it’s off season etc. Resorts in Punta Canta gave us a reasonable price, Dominicus gave us a really good deal then La Romana Resort and Spa gave us their regular price and so hard to negotiate. Will someone tell us how special is this resort that they won’t give us a good discount when all my guests are staying in their resort for 5-8 days. We are bringing $$$ in their resort and not give us a discount?  What is so special with this resort?  Can somebody recommend a beautiful resort? 
  • Topics

×