Photo

I Really Need MIL Advice Please!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 MrsJones2Be

MrsJones2Be
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

I understand your frustration completely, but by sending that letter you will only create more drama. She is going to regret not coming to her son's big day, but she has to deal with it, not you! You need to enjoy your day and celebrate your love with your FI in paradise!
    MRS JONES 2 BE!

#22 KimmyD

KimmyD
    • 351 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

My FI said this to me when I talked to him about this: (Almost exactly what he said anyway)

I don’t want them there at this point. They have made their choice and choose to not be part of our lives. I was hurt and angry, but now see it for what it is. If they were to book now because of guilt I think they would make it miserable for us. I would regret the results of doing it. The last thing I want is to have someone be a part of our day that doesn’t want to be there. My father is going to be there and is really looking forward to it and I am happy with that. You are the only person I need to be there! I want this to be the best day of our lives!

I guess we move forward. If he is ok with it then I am also. I just want him to be happy.
      http://global.thekno...rs/tt4304d.aspx
      28 Booked + Bride & Groom
      78 Room Nights!

#23 boscobel

boscobel
      • VIP Member
      • 24,213 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

Awww, that's very sweet of him to say and super levelheaded. Sounds like he didn't expect much different from his family.

I'm glad that he (you too) is at peace with it!

#24 Hopelesslyblissful

Hopelesslyblissful
        • 191 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

I'm really glad to see that this has been resolved and that the two of you feel better about the situation!! :)
          http://dwdf.daisypath.com/vWwHm6.png

~19 Booked Plus Bride & Groom~

#25 tris

tris
          • 609 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

I'm glad that it all worked out in the end. Really, it may be for the better, right? <3
            Married my best friend 04/28/11 at the Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay

#26 hoyt75

hoyt75
            • 371 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

The good new is that you and your fi are on the same side! I'm sure it still hurts, but you can't make people love you, or appreciate you. It's her loss if she doesn't want to open her heart and arms and welcome you into them.

#27 JanineA

JanineA
              • 2,482 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

I'm glad to hear that FI approached it so maturely and happy that it all worked out and you both can have peace of mind that your day is going to be fine.

#28 lilly129

lilly129
                • 350 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hi - I thought I'd chime in because I'm experiencing the same thing...in my situation my future in laws doing this because they want a reaction from us - they want to stir up drama and make a scene. So no matter how hurt we are that they're doing this (and personally I feel like this is the straw and I want them both out of our lives) we refuse to give them what they want...attention. It's depressing and I'm so sorry for you and your fiance, my heart really breaks for your fiance (and mine) because I can't understand how a parent can treat thier child this way.

My advice would be to not fuel the fire with a letter. Good luck with everything and keep us posted. Your wedding is going to be beautiful and amazing!!

#29 Tissey

Tissey
                  • 172 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

Yup, I'm with the majority on this one. That really sucks but I think the email will just make it worse. If anyone says anything, it should be your FI. It's his family and I think it's best to let him deal with it.
                    You will have a beautiful wedding and hopefully she will come around and realize what she will miss by being this obstinate and change her mind. If not, don't let it ruin your day. No wedding is perfect and you can't control everything. Just keep your spirits up, be positive and trust that everything will be all that you and your FI hoped it would.

#30 Mrs Price 2010

Mrs Price 2010
                    • 74 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

Brilliant email - but agree with the other girls and your choice not to send it!

I do this a lot of the time (slightly strange I know!!) when I'm angry or upset I write a letter to that person or an email - but then bin it or delete it! I find it helps you vent your anger and then you can sit back read through it and realise maybe you slightly over-reacted - which always seems to be the case with my letters!

In your case, you have every right to be upset and angry it's your wedding! But you sound like you've made the right choice to talk with your FI and he seems so level headed about it all even though it must hurt like hell! Sounds like your a lucky girl!
                      Good luck - hope all goes well in the end!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users