Originally Posted by LKocelko
Speaking of all these excursions, has anyone done any that they'd recommend? I was wanting to go zip-lining, my FI wants to see the ruins. Thanks for your thoughts!
So many amazing things to do and see.
1) For zip-lining I think the best spot is likely Xplor http://www.xplor.travel/ There is zip-lining, underground caverns, rivers, touring in jeeps, etc.
2) Snorkeling, I still think Xel-Ha is best,(my favorite anyway) especially if you take the time to do the river tube. http://www.xelha.com/ The lagoon here is swarming with colorful fish, and if you get the right season you can also see sea turtles and the breeding beach.
3) Another well loved snorkel spot is Xcaret, this includes more underground snorkeling, caverns http://www.xcaret.com/ If you can stay later into the evening, they have an amazing traditional Mayan dance/performance show.
4) For ruins, my favorite is Coba. It would be about 1 1/2 hour drive. It is located inland of Tulum, in the jungles. Tons of ruins, many which are still covered in jungle trees and vines. As well, one of the few ruin sites where you can still climb up the main temple (mind you I have not been in 2 years now, so that might have changed) *advice: If you go on your own, rent the bikes, you will be able to cover far more ground and quickly.
5) Tulum ruins. Beautiful setting on the ocean. But all the ruins are roped off, so you can't really get to close. As well it is super busy. About an hour drive south of the resort. There is an amazing market out front for local crafts and souveniers. *Advice: if you go bring your swimsuit, and a towel. You will find stairs down to one of the most amazing beachs I have ever seen! You simply have to go for a swim:)
6) Chichen Itza ruins. These are Aztec ruins, vs the Mayan ruins. Outstanding ruins and tons to see. However it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive inland.
Hope that helps!