Punta Cana and Earthquake

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kloc12

kloc12
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hi,

Has anyone been having problems with guests about the earthquake in haiti? I have been trying to reassure my guests but some ( like parents) dont get it.

Has anyone just returned from there? Thanks for anyones help!

Kristin

#2 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
    • 657 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

My mom called the resort herself and they told her they did not feel the Earthquake there or any of the after shocks. Let people know they are over 300 miles apart and that is a straight shot.
      Cory & Jennifer
      March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

#3 pamphilia

pamphilia
      • 362 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:56 PM

hi kristin,

i am a travel agent and have received several press releases from the Dominican stating that they have not been affected at all from the quake. there is no damage, and there have been no problems getting in and out of the country. everything is going on as if it had never happened.

i would probably need reassurance too if i was heading there in the next little while - but not to worry!
        ~pam

#4 pujbride19

pujbride19
        • 57 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

I'm in Punta Cana. We did not feel anything. Everything seems completely normal here. I don't blame your guests for worrying, but there is no need to. There is a reason why you aren't hearing anything about Punta Cana in the news...because there is nothing to report.

#5 NaM

NaM
          • 2,256 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Just keep reassuring them...I think a lot of last years brides can relate because of H1N1 and that whole toboggle...everything will pass in time and beautiful weddings will still be had!

#6 kloc12

kloc12
            • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Thanks everyone! Its so frustrating, because I am not concerned, and will know it will pass, but media and opinions left and right without getting facts are super annoying. I just want to get married on a beach and have a relaxing wedding, I could not imagine having a big traditional wedding....is it worse?? haha!!

kristin

#7 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
              • 657 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

Since it FI fam that was kinda freaking out look what he found and sent out!!
                Dominican Republic Reassures Tourists - In Transit Blog - NYTimes.com
                Cory & Jennifer
                March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

#8 hepre

hepre
                • 62 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the NY Times article, greatly appreciated!

#9 Boston Bride 2009

Boston Bride 2009
                  • 268 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

My husbands family lives in Santo Domingo which is closer to Haiti than Punta Cana (about 150 miles away) and they felt a little shaking but nothing serious at all. His dad was taking a nap and never felt it.

#10 Tam

Tam
                    • 551 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by kloc12
                      Hi,

Has anyone been having problems with guests about the earthquake in haiti? I have been trying to reassure my guests but some ( like parents) dont get it.

Has anyone just returned from there? Thanks for anyones help!

Kristin
                      Kristin,
                      We just got back tonight from Dreams Punta Cana tonight. There were absolutely NO aftershocks. We were there when some of the big aftershocks hit too and felt nothing... it is too far away from Port au Prince.. don't worry.. no tsunami either.. again just too far and totally across land, not water..
                      HOpe this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users