Photo

Do I have to bring my future MIL dress shopping?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#11 bahiabride2010

bahiabride2010
  • 997 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

Mine didn't come with me but I may invite her for a fitting!

#12 giraffexx

giraffexx
    • 498 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

Thanks ladies for all of your advice! You've made me feel a lot better about my decision to go with just my MOH and bridesmaid. I believe my mom would be hurt if I went with my future MIL and she was unable to come. Plus I don't have a close relationship with my future MIL at all!

#13 lisa_k

lisa_k
      • 113 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

I don't think you need to invite your future MIL at all. Especially if you are not close with her!

My future MIL has 2 sons and just wants to be included in wedding planning, when possible. So I went shopping with my mom and sisters and narrowed down my choices, then I invited my future MIL to come along on a separate shopping trip so she felt included. My FI told me I got big points for that one! But I think you should only do what you feel comfortable with. It is your wedding after all. And it only happens once!

#14 Bunny121009

Bunny121009
        • 83 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

I did not include my FMIL when I went dress shopping and I don't see anything wrong with her not being included. To each their own but I think it is unnecessary. Tell her you wouldn't feel right having her go with you while not having your own mother in attendance (which would be awkward).

#15 carolina24

carolina24
          • 1,573 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

i went with my MOH, my mom and my FMIL but it really just depends on how you feel. Just be honest with her.

#16 *HOLLY*

*HOLLY*
            • Banned
            • 3,639 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

It really depends on you. If you just want your MOH and BM's than that is OK. I took all my BM's, mom, and fmil dress shopping. Now looking back my FMIL was a bit over the top. Like she would be nope that is the dress the other ones are no's. Her opinions were "better" than everyone elses and I didnt like it that much.

#17 alkoch

alkoch
              • 515 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

I am glad you have decided to go with what YOU wanted.

I was leary about this too because I knew my FMIL would want to come, but I did NOT want her there, without even considering how she has been really negative about the whole wedding I just wanted it to be me and my mom so I could make a decision and get the dress I knew I loved. She expressed how that hurt her feelings but I just explained how I always have (prom & such) gone dress shopping with my mom and that she would be invited to the fitting if she would like to come. I am really glad I stuck with what I wanted instead of trying to please her!

#18 hunniebee724

hunniebee724
                • 340 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

I was planning on inviting my FMIL, but I went last minute dress shopping with my mom and best friend and actually found my dress.

#19 clfaidl2

clfaidl2
                  • 333 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

I didn't invite my Future MIL. I don't really feel that close to her. I did live 2.5 to 3 hours from my mom though, and we met half way to go dress shopping. I took pictures there, so i could still get my BM's and MOH's opinion. I wouldnt feel bad for not inviting her though, especially if you are not going with your mom.
                    ~Christina~

#20 midnight24

midnight24
                    • 754 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:31 AM

this probably sounds bad but i didn't even think to ask her to come or FI's stepmom. when i went shopping with my mom it was decided last minute that day. i'm glad no one else came with us (even friends) cuz i was so overwhelmed by the experience. i couldn't imagine having everyone's opinion coming at me during that experience. plus we got my dress 4hrs away from where she lives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users