Sign in to follow this  
amybermuda

Anyone getting legally hitched before Mexican wedding?

We got married already. Our wedding isnt until May, but we married in December to see if we could get a better tax return and maybe help pay for the wedding! Win/Win

BUT we have not told ANYONE! We didnt want it to take away from our wedding for anyone else. We were afraid that some people would wonder why they would have to go all that way if we were "already married"... so it is out little secret!

lol

I agree ladies.... It won't take away the meaning of the mexican ceremony... if you don't let it. At the court house all you do it sign the papers ect. Legal stuff. Also, more things to think about are the time requirements to be in mexico before the legal ceremony, the blood work, prior marriage cert, divorce, death cert ect (ps, they all need to be translated which cost $$$$). Just some more food for thought.

We are doing the US court house and not telling anyone. Why does anyone need to know??

Exactly! No one needs to know. I just dont wear my wedding band around family and I will wait to change my name until after our real wedding! No harm no foul.

Totally thought about the hassle we would have to go through in Mexico! Didnt sound like fun when you can just run down to the courthouse really quick! MUCH easier!

We are getting "legally" married at home before we leave. Actually where we live the state does not require an officiant to perform a ceremony. You just get the marriage license and sign it before a witness. Pretty simple. So while friends are in town for the bachelor/bachelorette parties this weekend, we are going to be legally hitched :-) Although we will use the date of our ceremony in Mexico as our actual wedding date.

We are also getting married several months ahead in Victoria to avoid the trouble. We agree that we will celebrate our marriage on the day we will be getting married in Mexico not when we sign a piece of paper. It really comes down to what you define as meaningful and significant.

All the best.

This is a great topic to touch on! My fiance and I are also going to be getting married legally in the US before our wedding in Mexico. We just didn't want to have to deal with all the hassle and extra money that go along with having a legal ceremony in Mexico. Like many of you girls on here we're also not telling anyone when we do it. Though we did discuss it with my family we did not tell his for the simple fact that we didn't think that they would go to Mexico for our wedding if they knew we made our marriage legal at home. I definitely agree that it's really no one's business where and when you make it legal. Let that be between you and your fiance, and don't let other's opinions sway your decision. Good luck! :)

The other night FI and I realised just how much it would cost to get legally married in Mexico... with blood tests, translation of documents, etc, those costs really add up!

So we're having a legal ceremony at home a few days before leaving for the Mexico wedding.

It's very possible that everyone who declines our invitation to Mexico will be invited to watch the legal ceremony, and to a group dinner afterwards. That way everyone that we care about will have been in attendance for some part of our wedding(s).

After reading everyone's posts about family/friend's reactions to finding out that a couple was already married before a DW, I'm a little concerned that some people might get mad that they didn't see the legal ceremony...

It seems like keeping an at-home ceremony secret would be WAY too much stress, though!