Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
classadiva

Guest assumes they can bring someone

Recommended Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by classadiva View Post
Thank you for your comments. One thing I can say is that I was pretty confident in the decisions I made on this issue until I received some of the answers that I did here!! LOL You live and learn!! That's okay...would I do things differently...not sure...but I do recognize that this is not a cut and dry issue since so many others have thoughts on this different than what I was thinking.

Luckily...so far...the two that asked to bring guests and were told no by me are rooming with other friends that are coming. One is still bringing her sister...knowing that she can't come to the wedding events.
You should be confident, you have every right to feel what you are feeling! I agree that no one wants to go on vacation alone BUT there is no reason to pay for a "plus one" especially if the couple doesn't know them. On our website I included a Q&A section and put on there that only those named on the invitation where invited to the wedding events, my guests can chose to bring as many people as they want on their vacation, but those "plus #" will not be attending any events. I think this is a good compromise! It's not a free for all, it's YOUR wedding. Even if money was no issue, it's also about the intimacy of it. I don't want people who barely know us to "celebrate" our union. Stick to your guns!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina24 View Post
You should be confident, you have every right to feel what you are feeling! I agree that no one wants to go on vacation alone BUT there is no reason to pay for a "plus one" especially if the couple doesn't know them. On our website I included a Q&A section and put on there that only those named on the invitation where invited to the wedding events, my guests can chose to bring as many people as they want on their vacation, but those "plus #" will not be attending any events. I think this is a good compromise! It's not a free for all, it's YOUR wedding. Even if money was no issue, it's also about the intimacy of it. I don't want people who barely know us to "celebrate" our union. Stick to your guns!!
Thank you...I am holding firm in my decision and intend to continue to do so. I think part of it is that I am someone whom likes to travel alone and have done so often. Having friends there that I know...I would not consider that to be travelling alone. Even when I was a bridesmaid in a wedding in Jamaica three years ago...I never asked if I could bring a guest. That's just me I guess....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad for you that you have made your decision and feel good about it. At the end of it all this is your day and I hope it goes fabulously for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscheeze View Post
i only invited family and close friends and gave only people i wanted the TA info to book. well my TA emailed me a list of people who booked and there were 2 people on there i didnt even know! it turns out the were friends of my Fi aunt who were on a bowling league with her!!! to say the least i was pissed. i didnt even know these people enough to recognize their name and to top it of i had met them one and they were obnoxiously drunk and said something really innapropriate and rude to me! i have no idea how to hadle this situation and i feel bad because it has put my TA in an awkward situation as well. i think we have basically decided that we cant stop them from coming but they are not welcome at the wedding or reception
OMG! I had to laugh b/c this is exactly what I'm worried about!!! I had various family members that had already EMAILED THEIR FRIENDS inviting them to our wedding w/ out my knowledge. Had to send a gentle but firmly worded email explaining the exact cost per guest and the fact that we have excluded our OWN FRIENDS from the invitee list!!! Needless to say, they had to uninvite their friends...

Anyhow, I'm still worried some family will try to slip in some friends so I'm giving the hotel a list of all invited guests. ONLY they will be allowed to benefit from the group rate. Ack, I'm really hoping it doesn't come to this though! Unbelievable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniepps View Post
I really don't understand the nerve of some people! How do you just decide you're going to invite yourself or someone else to a weddinghuh.gifhuh.gif
I did not invite anyone single with guests. Almost all of my single friends know each other and told me right off that they were planning on rooming together. FI and I only wanted people that knew us at our wedding - no strangers unless they were part of a couple (my friend in Portland OR has been dating her boyfriend for a year - he's invited although we never met as they are across the country).

Now his single friend has told him she is bringing her aunt. He knows her aunt pretty well and I have met her once. I'm so tired of being stressed out about little things...at least FI knows her...has been to her house...she seemed really happy for us when i met her...so I'm going to chalk this up to "things i cannot control"...and move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel the same way... i don't want randoms at our wedding. And I've mentioned to friends that I am trying to keep the number of guests down. but a few still think they are bringing dates! And what's frustrating is that 3 of them are not in relationships currently. Do they think they'll be in love and want to bring a guy down to mexico for a few days 6 months from now? That is crazy to me! I don't want to not include "and guest" on the invite for etiquette reasons, but i do NOT want them to bring a guest!! i hate this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseykitten View Post
I did not invite anyone single with guests. Almost all of my single friends know each other and told me right off that they were planning on rooming together. FI and I only wanted people that knew us at our wedding - no strangers unless they were part of a couple (my friend in Portland OR has been dating her boyfriend for a year - he's invited although we never met as they are across the country).

Now his single friend has told him she is bringing her aunt. He knows her aunt pretty well and I have met her once. I'm so tired of being stressed out about little things...at least FI knows her...has been to her house...she seemed really happy for us when i met her...so I'm going to chalk this up to "things i cannot control"...and move on.
Glad to see that I am not the only one with this strategy. This has been an unexpected stressful issue and the invites haven't even been sent out yet!!! Goodness knows what "surprises" await us down the road!! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! I completely agree that only the named guests on the invitation should attend. That means if you are not named, you are not invited. My resort is reserving all the rooms for my guests until 6 months before the date. I think I will give them the guest list and tell them not to allow anyone to book a room that is not on it. I also think I will add something to our website in the RSVP area that says "Please do not bring guests that are not specifically named on your invitation as we want an intimate ceremony." Is this way too rudehuh.gif I also have the additional issue that I do not want anyone to bring their kids. If they can't make it without them, then don't come. Now how do I convey that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meitra View Post
Wow! I completely agree that only the named guests on the invitation should attend. That means if you are not named, you are not invited. My resort is reserving all the rooms for my guests until 6 months before the date. I think I will give them the guest list and tell them not to allow anyone to book a room that is not on it. I also think I will add something to our website in the RSVP area that says "Please do not bring guests that are not specifically named on your invitation as we want an intimate ceremony." Is this way too rudehuh.gif I also have the additional issue that I do not want anyone to bring their kids. If they can't make it without them, then don't come. Now how do I convey that?
I think if you put in the RSVP area that guests not named on the invitation aren't invited, people should assume that means children as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • we ended up using Facebook messenger when we were in Mexico - the hotel had free wifi and at least 1 person from each family/couple had FB on their phone already - it was pretty easy to communicate among guests "hey, we're heading to the beach bbq for lunch." or "everyone is hanging at the small pool today".  a plus was that some people tried to get a hold of me via FB on the day of the wedding and I was totally not checking my phone - they were asking if the wedding was outside given the rain forecast, thankful my mom, MOH and a few other friends were on the group and could respond for me :) 
    • Are you looking for a guide where you’ll find many tips and steps to follow to make your wedding a success? We design a special for you, where you will find: Photography Tips To-Do List Check list How to choose the best dress? Memories and invitations And much more! Download it now for free from: http://emweddings.com/WeddingGuide/index.html     Don’t stress. Enjoy every moment, tomorrow will be your best memories. See you soon!
    • Another option is to find an app that allows for group talk. This Wedding Party App looks pretty neat. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-party-app/ 
    • Hi Everyone, So, I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I never sold off my extra wedding OOT bag stuff from our wonderful DW.   46 Daily Spanish for Dummies 30 Pool colored OOT fabric bags - approximately 13in x 13in. They lay flat.  I used them for our wedding and they were perfect for everything we needed to fit in each bag. There’s a slight shade variation in the group; I’m guessing some were cut from a different bolt of fabric.  They are also a little wrinkled from storage and will probably be wrinkled from shipping. I have three additional ones, but they somehow got something on them (likely toddler related). If needed, I can try to wash it out and send those as well. 
    • I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.
  • Topics

×