Booking Flights

big3n09

We are not using a TA so what do you all think or what have some of you all done as far as guest booking their flights? We are receiving a special rate from the hotel so receiving a package rate was not an option. I have spoken to Air Jamaica and what they quoted me just doesn't seem like a deal or that it is worth using that option so I'm just wondering how I should address flight arrangements.

We have a TA but we decided to let guests book their own flights anyway and it seems to be working out alright. We gave everyone our TA's information in case they wanted help looking/booking but most people have wanted to do it themselves so they feel like they have found the best rate. A lot of our guests are also flying from different cities, dates and times so a group rate wasn't ever really an option.

I'd suggest just doing some reseach and sending out email alerts when you find a good deal.

Good luck!

We were going to use a ta but everyone kept finding better deals online. I have everyones itins and I used to work for an airline so i know what could happen as far as cancellations and such w/ using expedia, etc. So I frequently check up on my guests itins and will definitely do so more right before our wedding. Also since I worked for an airline at a smaller airport I have lots of friends at each airline who will help us w/ bookings and not having fees, etc.

So far it has worked out very well. Most of our guests have used expedia and orbitz for flights. Although my suggestion is if you or your guests find good flights from one airline on expedia, orbitz, travelocity, etc have them check that airlines site to see if the flights are the same price if so book directly w/ the airline. It will be much much easier if flights are cancelled etc so you can work w/ the airline and not have to deal w/ expedia or whoever. there are also some airlines who don't have contracts w/ expedia and such.

You also have some time, if I were you I'd wait 2 more months to book, unless you book w/ someone who will give you price guarantee. your flight dates are just now avail and if you wait a couple months they'll drop a little as they airlines know people are waiting for their dates to come avail to book.

Check out Airfare ? Cheap Airfares ? Cheap Airfare Deals they will show the good prices and you never know you just might find what you're looking for!

We did not use a TA. We posted travel info on our wedding website and I would run orbitz searches often and if I saw a good deal send an email to whoever it would apply to, but guests were on their own for airfare and most preferred shopping for their own deal.

Thanks for the advice! I always book my own flights because I have the time to shop around myself. I don't think my guest will have a problem booking their own flights and I do plan to keep them updated on what I find when I'm searching. I think I'll wait another month or 2 and then start looking often and updated my guest on our website. Thanks again!

Originally we were going to have our guests book thier own flights. We booked our own directly through the airlines and got a pretty good deal. But we found a TA who will price match and take a few bucks off anything you find online with orbitz, etc. That way I can get everyone's itinerary in an email from the TA! She offered packages to my resort at decent rates and it just made it easier. I think Tammy the administrator has a new travel team that will answer your questions easier. I wish I had found this site sooner, I would definately be using one of the TA's on here. They seem very knowledgeable. Good luck.

FH and I used a TA for our flights as we booked nearly a year in advance and literally got half the price that was showing up online (but our trip is a multi-destination trip - $1370 vs $2200 - it's more expensive now).

My mother and sister also used our TA because they are going on a tour of Europe after the wedding so they needed the TA to coordinate their flights.

The rest of our group booked on their own as they are only coming to France for the 1 wk and I informed them of deals online when I saw them. The best deal I was able to find was 2 months ago for $497 per person round trip including taxes and fees. No one jumped on that offer so the best deal anyone found was about $620 per person incl. taxes and fees. I think it is hit or miss what you end up finding online vs a TA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big3n09 View Post
We are not using a TA so what do you all think or what have some of you all done as far as guest booking their flights? We are receiving a special rate from the hotel so receiving a package rate was not an option. I have spoken to Air Jamaica and what they quoted me just doesn't seem like a deal or that it is worth using that option so I'm just wondering how I should address flight arrangements.
Did your guests already book the hotel already? Because maybe a TA can get the same rate for the resort and just book flight when they become available. I had some problems with our travel arrangements that came up and was so thankful to have a TA to fix everything.

No my guest have not but I reserved 5 rooms a few months ago to receive the grand opening rate before it expired. They have been so kind to offer the grand opening rates to my guest until August 1st and when I mentioned a TA it seemed as though things would end up getting confused. I don't mind updating my website with deals I find IMO people are going to book how they choose regardless. The one DW I went to the only reason I used her TA was because I waited to the last minute and couldn't find a deal but half her guest used her TA and the others booked on their own.