A wee bit overwhelmed picking a resort...
Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:16 PM
The parameters I'd like to work within:
1. East coast Mexico or Caribean - nothing West coast as almost all guests are coming from NY/NJ/CT/FL. Some are elderly so I worry about long flights. Some on a budget so I worry about airfare jacking up the price.
2. AI w/ good food and premium booze included (What can I say, we like to eat and drink)
3. Would like to keep the total price per guest w/ air/taxes/etc under or around $1500 for 4 nights/5 days or more.
4. Would like ceremony to be next to the beach, water view and beach ambience, but no sand. I'm a high heel kinda gal, need to be able to walk down the aisle in them. Sand and high heels means I bust my bum in front of everyone...while my guests would be entertained, I would be mortified. Would love the reception to be on the beach though..once my flip flops come out. But I can certainly work with an open air restaurant/reception area just off the beach, just nothing indoors.
5. Must accept outside photographers.
6. Must be gay friendly as not all of our guests are "traditional" couples.
7. We are a partying group that will probably need a lobby bar or disco to go to after the reception.
8. We are looking at about 50-65 showing up.
That is all I can think of right now. Please have at it with suggestions or feel free to rule out any of the popular places on the east coast that won't fit the bill. And thank you thank you thank you ahead of time.
Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:43 PM
It's Negril so the flight isn't too too long, its AI, the resort is overlooking the water, priced within your budget, and Rick's Cafe is nearby.
Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:56 PM
Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:26 AM
Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:53 AM
Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:27 PM
The resort is moon palace in cancun
Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:44 PM
It's the Averntua Spa Palace in Riviera Maya Mexico (Same chain as sweetiekris mentioned but this one is in Riviera Maya not Cancun and is smaller than the moon palace). I picked this one because it is half adults and half family so everyone could get a bit of what they wanted. It's all inclusive which was a must for me. Free airport/hotel transfers. They threw in lots of perks...we got a free cocktail hour for booking 10 rooms and will get our whole reception free if we get 20 rooms book. Prices are around $160 a night per person/per person so it seems to be within your budget. There are 2 gazebo's to pick from...one more gardenish and the other looking over the ocean. They have a free wedding package as well as several upgraded ones. I'm bringing in an outside photographer, we just have to get them a day pass so they are counted as a guest not a vendor but I didn't have to pay any other fees outside of that. There is a disco and bars and swim up bars.
Anyway, if you like what you hear send me a PM and I can get you more info but for now here is the link to the resort Palace Resorts - Welcome to the Official Site - Aventura Spa Palace adults only resort offers relaxing spa vacations!
Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:25 PM
| Originally Posted by marak |
Alright, my fiance is really starting to think I am addicted to this forum. I just can't stop reading, but the more I read the more indecisive I get!
Also....I may be wrong but I believe in it's illegal to be gay in Jamaica. I doubt it's a problem at the resorts (money is money to them) but if your group is out in public it's something to be aware of. The last thing you want is your guests to feel awkward or worse.
We tend to take it for granted in the states sometimes but I think it's good you are thinking about that as you book because sadly not all places are welcoming.
Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:48 PM
As far as which resort to choose, We are getting married at Moondance Villas in Negril, Jamaica, with our overflow guests staying at Moondance Cliffs. Negril is on the west side of the island, so the sun sets on the water. We went and visited the resorts in December. At Moondance Villas, there really isn't an "off-beach" option for the ceremony, so it wouldn't be for you. At Moondance Cliffs there is a gorgeous gazebo that overlooks the water and would fit the bill for heels. However, you should know that there isn't a beach nearby, (it's about 10 - 15) ride back down the cliffs to get to the beach. So if you want to spend some time at the beach for your reception, this wouldn't be the place for you.
MDC is all-inclusive, is $225 pp per night, and they do accept outside photogs. There is a sports bar on-site, but if you are wanting to party, it's not far to Rick's where you can watch cliff divers while you drink it up. Also, it's important to note that if you have guests that will be bringing children (such as flower girls, ring bearers, etc) they can't stay at MDC. They don't allow children because they are located directly on the cliffs and there is no barricade to prevent them from falling over the side.
I don't know if that helps, or rules it out for you. I will say this though, the location is absolutely gorgeous and the people are very helpful. Also, because it is a smaller resort, you get more attention and won't be one of many weddings on your special day.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users