Sign in to follow this  
OROBride1008

Venting:Bummed About Having To Go To The Court House Before We Go To Jamaica

our marriage licence was here in under a month. But for the most part I used the temporary license.

I am almost at a month and have not received mine...I would def. rely on the temp license if you can!! I think it all depends on how busy the month is too.

ORO- keep us posted on how things work out :) I hope you can find a solution, or he can hang on to his job for a few more months!

I will definitely keep you ladies posted. As of right now the game plan is to wait out and see over the next 90 days if he gets laid off. If he does we will head to the courthouse the next day. If he doesn't then as long as no one will give me a problem with the temporary license, we will just do it down there. Thanks for all your help ladies :0)

hang in there ORO, I hope everything works out for you guys. If the worst case scenario happened though, just remember that taking your vows at the courthouse won't even come close to taking your vows with your friends and family as witness.

I lost my job in October and have been without insurance since...you're right the Obama stimulus helps but not enough!

Just want to second what some of the ladies have already said. When you leave ROR you will receive a certificate; actually right after the ceremony in our case. I have used it already to change my SS card and health benefits with no problems. I'm sure it will all work out!

Oh I didnt realize that you can use it for the SS card! Damn, if I had known I woulda gone to the SS office on my day off!! Actually I need to wait til I get back from the honeymoon, but thats really good to know!

Update:

So my fiance got laid off a week and a half ago. I was so overwhelmed at first. My initial reaction was to go to the courthouse the next day to get a marriage license. Then I thought about it and if my family isn't going to be able to make it to Jamaica and we are getting married at the courthouse, why not take a long weekend and go to where my family is and get married in front of them. So that is what we are going to do.

They say everything happens for a reason and I do believe it does. My mom and I are very close and she was so upset that she wasn't going to be able to see me get married. Everytime we talked about wedding realted stuff as it got closer she couldn't help but cry. Now that we are getting married n NC where she lives, she is so excited and so am I.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your kind words. I feel pretty lucky. I get to marry the man of my dreams in 1 week in front of my family. Plus not too many people can say they are having 2 destination weddings.

Since the NC wedding is family only, we will renew our vows in Jamaica in front of our friends.

That sounds so fun! Hey, you get to wear your dress twice! Both his Mom and my Mom can't travel due to health reasons. It is a little sad not getting married in front of them. In the end, things happen for a reason, and now you get to celebrate twice! Congratulations, and I hope you have two beautiful wedding days!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Best Destination Wedding Sponsors

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
    • The most recent post I found for Azul Fives brides is here -- although it hasn't been updated much:    You can also find a Cancun-Riviera Maya FB group hosted by this forum here, that will have various info you might find helpful! https://www.facebook.com/groups/CancunRMBrides/ Since you are considering Azul Fives for your wedding, I also encourage you to check out this promotion because it could save you a good amount of money on your wedding -- the only requirement is that you use Wright Travel, which is the official travel agency of the BDW forum! But their services are free, so it's a total bonus and will be a huge help as you plan your wedding celebration Hope that helps!!!  
    • Can’t seem to find the forum for Azul Fives with the last year? If someone could post the link that would be great!  I am just starting to loosely plan my wedding and this resort is on my top list. Thanks!
    • Hi there I’ve been engaged for a few months now and we beginning to talk about our wedding. We are 33 and 34 years old, We think we want it to be in Mexico or DR. We expect about 50 guests including children. We don’t want to get married or have our reception on the beach. My Fiancé is a chef so we also would like good food! We would also like to keep the cost under $1800 per guest flying from Nova Scotia, Canada.  Any suggestions as to how or where to start the planning process? Should we use a travel agent?  Any experienced brides that can suggest a resort ? Thank you! amanda   
    • Hi! I'm from the US (but I've been to the UK 6x- my finance says i'm not allowed to move there! lol) Many resort lines don't offer something like the dress rehearsal, which I think is crazy! It's such a smart idea!  Having been to Mexico so much, I find it so much more comfortable- Yes there are dangers but I don't find it any worse than Philly or NY. It is a country that gets SO MUCH money from the service industry- it literally benefits no one to mess with tourists. Your tip money at the bar is feeding someones family. Not that the DR is any different in that it relies on tourist $, but the vibe is just totally different.  In the DR, they were really very serious about us not leaving the resorts (we did- I don't believe in staying on resorts lol). Once off, we realized why. Now, full disclosure, we went right after the 2010 earthquake, so this was a) some time ago and b) right after a natural disaster. Once we left we just felt immediately uncomfortable. (We even saw a man approaching a goat with  a large gun and the Taxi driver seemed nervous and sped away- poor goat!) I find in Mexico everyone is SO respectful- in the DR I had guys make lewd comments (both from those off the resort, and more disturbingly from workers at the resort), grabbing at me, just generally super disrespectful and not at all comforting. My dad had to kick the room service guy out of our room bc he refused to leave when we asked!  This could have been completely isolated to the staff at our specific resort, but it definitely happened off resort as well. A la Anthony Bourdain, I have always considered myself a traveller, not a tourist, so I have zero interest in staying on a resort the entire time (really I'm not in love with resorts period lol), so for me, if I can't go off resort safely, what business do I have being there at all? Also they  made be throw out my coffee before I got on the plane- the coffee I got at the food court at the gate. I'm holding that grudge LOL. A long story short- it's not on my list of returns. I can honestly say that I'm not sure I would accept an invitation to a wedding in the DR- I think I'd rather save that money and go to Mexico! (or the UK, or Iceland, or just Europe in general lol)  I don't regret going, but I'd sooner go to Mexico if I'm looking for a beach!  That's just me- millions of people go there and have a great time! I guess it really comes down to what type of traveller you are (are you okay with being on a resort and just leaving for excursions)!
    • Hello, thank you so much for this it’s all very helpful.. are you from the UK OR US? ive never been and I probably won’t visit the destination until I get married! Oh my gosh I have looked at your resort it is beautiful!! my family have been to the Dominican.. can I ask why you didn’t find it as safe?   Thanks again 
  • Topics