Jump to content


Do we need to postpone our DW?

  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 BillysBride

  • Sr. Member
  • 1,255 posts

    Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

    PERSONALLY, just for me, I'd get a general vibe from those you KNOW you have to have there. ie, parents, bridal party, etc....make sure 5 months is enough for them and if it is, you're good to go!

    I have absolutely no doubt the planning can be done in 5. Just check in with your guests to make sure that it will work out (and within budget) for them. I know for us alot of people asked for notice just so they could save/pay for their trips. If thats not a big concern, then likely you'll be good to go!

    http://i17.photobuck....inecollage.jpgThe Fab Four (my quads) Meryn, Kellen, Nico & Layla
    http://global.thekno...rs/tt265ad.aspxhttp://www.mywedding...nnah/index.html20 STD's w. pre-lim RSVP sent 6/15/09: 7 "Yes" so far/10 guests total!

    #12 pettytiffany

    • Newbie
    • 20 posts

      Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

      If you are considering a Riu wedding first reserve your date on line to make sure you have the day you want. Then start arranging the travel stuff. Because you have limited time I would tell as many people as you can verball or by e-mail your plans asap. I wanted to send STDs but I didn't have enough time so I just called people or e-mailed them. Another thing to consider that happened to me is that I was given a price quote for all inclusive air, transfer and accomidations, but that quote was only for a certain flight leaving on a certain day, there are limited seats on the plane so try to get
      your guests to pay their deposit sooner than later. I had to make panic phone calls (without even sending actual invitations!) and ask people to pay the deposit! It was crazy, but it got people to book early and now I know my numbers.....just something to think about.

      #13 drbrainfreeze

      • Member
      • 813 posts

        Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

        I agree with the whole point of the RIU - make sure that your date is available. You can also check out RIU Ocho Rios, Negril and Tropical Bay, so you do have 4 RIU resorts to choose from.

        In terms of flights, you should be ok. I know in Canada its a little harder (certain flight, certain day, limited seats on plane...), but for us US brides, its way easier. Plus, there might be some great deals at the resorts out there. I know when we booked it was WAY more expensive than 3-4 months out at the RIU Ocho Rios.

        #14 JOSIE

        • Sr. Member
        • 1,792 posts

          Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

          I agree with the other girls, I think you have plenty of time. Not everyone sends STD's and I sent mine in March and out of 200 people only 27 have booked. Most people think the STD's are cute, but then they forget all together and focus on other things until they get a formal invite. You still have 5 months and I think its cheaper in October anyway so your guests would be happy! A lot of resorts do more than 1 wedding a day and will still have availibility. I don't know if you care about that part or not, but I know that I wouldn't want to postpone either!!

          Good Luck, keep us posted!

          #15 Jen_S

          • Sr. Member
          • 3,737 posts

            Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

            I also agree you can pull off an amazing wedding in a couple of months a lot of couples moved countries due to the swine flu. I would first talk to your "must have" guests and make sure they are aboard. We gave our guests a years notice and most did not book until 2 months before the wedding which I would have known that I would have had more time to just relax and enjoy the engagement or get married earlier. Best of luck to you!!!
            Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

            #16 RoryS

            • Jr. Member
            • 230 posts

              Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

              One of the brides on this forum had a Puerto Aventuras (Mexico) wedding planned but had to cancel, due to swine flu, and then rescheduled to DR, but couldn't get the plane tickets at short notice. She ended up getting married in the Bahamas and planned the whole thing in 8 days!!! So, it can be done in a short period of time. People will understand and if they can go; they'll go.

              0 user(s) are reading this topic

              0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users